Layoff (Read 1232 times)

ud32

Going away for the next 6 days. Downhill skiing and will probably mix in a little snowshoeing/hiking and sledding too. I dont plan on trying to get in any runs for fear of overdoing it and risking injury. Question: Considering I will be doing some aerobic activity can I immediately return to my former weekly mileage levels of 17-20 miles/week or do I have to reduce the mileage and follow the 10% rule to get back to the level I was ?

A Saucy Wench

a week off does not require a back-off of mileage even if you just sit by the fire.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Imminent Catastrophe

It'll probably do you some good. Just pick up where you left off.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ud32

That was what I was hoping to hear....plus I am developing a nagging soreness in my outer upper calf that could use some rest.. Thanks
            This morning I did my first run after a week of rest, because I did feel a strange ache in my right foot (probably not running related). Today's 'long run' (which isn't very long yet Big grin) was as long as the longest I did before my week of rest, but guess... this was the first time I didn't feel that tiredness in my muscles I usually felt on the day of a long run. I always heard that during a period of non-activity, your condition starts declining after two weeks. But you are only planning a week of non-running activity, so I think there's no reason to be afraid.

Running in Belgium
            Ann

skiing is not exactly lying on ones duff. I would just pick right up where you left off.
              ud32

Ready to pick up where I left off but......the nagging soreness on my calf got worse ran twice this week but had to go in for a deep muscle massage and my PT says no running until Tuesday. So now what as far as a guideline to total weekly miles to shoot for when I return from this layoff?? My last 9 weeks totals went like this - beginning with: Week ending 12/21: 7 12/14: 0 12/7: 16 11/30: 14 11/23: 18 11/16: 21 11/9: 20.5 11/2: 15.2 Week ending 10/26: 17.2

Prince of Fatness

Downhill skiing and will probably mix in a little snowshoeing/hiking and sledding too.
                  Have fun. Resume your normal running schedule when you get back. You'll be fine.

Not at it at all. 

ud32

Have fun. Resume your normal running schedule when you get back. You'll be fine.
                    I tried but see my last post - calf issues - I assume if all goes well I can resume normal routine Tuesday.
                      What is your normal distance per run? I'm assuming by what you posted in your last post, it is probably in the 3-5 mile range. If it were me, the first day or two back, I would go not much more than 2 miles just to see how it feel. Then, if that feels fine or hurts, you can add more or ease up even more, as the situation warrants. The only thing you stand to lose by a cautious return is a little bit of fitness, which you can always gain back when you are healthy. A return that is too hasty, though, almost always ends in more serious injury, and even more time off than if you had just been a little more cautious. If you don't know the cause of the calf pain - take it easy and don't push it too hard, too soon.