Too much cardio... (Read 3039 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No man, we save the pork for the mofongo.
    Yeah, but a vegetarian mofongo is da bomb.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have a silly question... didn't read through all 9 pages but if it has already been answered please excuse me but... Isn't one of the major reasons for doing long slow cardio is to train your body at becoming better at burning fat as an energy source? Wouldn't it then make sense that if we are making our bodies better at burning fat that they probably would also as a result get better at storing fat also? It would seem as though both functions would go together.
      We don't train our body to get better at burning fat. We are very good at burning fat. We burn fat as the primary fuel source for low to medium effort activities. What all the cardio does is improve our ability to perform well at progressively lower efforts, so that we preferentially burn fat. That is, for me right now, running a 6:42 pace requires a high level of effort and I fuel that effort primarily with glycogen. Add in loads of relentless, consistent cardio and eventially that 6:42 pace will require a lower effort and will be fueled with a higher proportion of fat.
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The Ostrich is slouching towards this thread waiting to be born. I didn't see the Hippo coming. More people are killed by Hippos than any other large animal. Maybe. You do have to say something to distinguish animals though since mosquitoes kill more people than all 4-legged creatures put together.
        But surely none of them rival humans. Heck, they're all so poor, they might as well be killing anaerobically.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Turning and turning in the widening gyre The falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere The ceremony of innocence is drowned; The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity. Surely some revelation is at hand; Surely the Second Coming is at hand. The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out When a vast image out of Spritus Mundi Troubles my sight: somewhere in the sands of the desert. A shape with ostrich body and the head of an emu, A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun, Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds. The darkness drops again; but now I know That twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
          FrancesR

What does "Cardio" mean? I hear folks say they are "doing cardio" but what is it? Smile
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What does "Cardio" mean? I hear folks say they are "doing cardio" but what is it? Smile
              It means they're injured and can't run, so they're cross-training. Cardio is from the Greek for "consolation"

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Cardio was the name of my pool service guy. Back when I was married, I learned the hard way what it means to be doing Cardio. I no longer have a pool, nor a pool service guy.

Menace to Sobriety

Cardio was the name of my pool service guy. Back when I was married, I learned the hard way what it means to be doing Cardio. I no longer have a pool, nor a pool service guy.
                  I guess in this case, any Cardio would be too much.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.