The Olympics random thoughts thread (may contain spoilers) (Read 1312 times)

#artbydmcbride

The Olympics are funny in that for two weeks every four years Americans go gaga over some really, really esoteric "sports" that they could care less about, and quite often forget exist, for the other 1,445 days in between. Skeet shooting? Dressage? Trampoline??

Synchronized diving!!    Blush

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Discovering that was truly a "WTF??" moment in my life. 

Local boy just won bronze, whoohooo.....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Speaking of locals, Julie Culley lives and trains here in North Jersey, was an  All-American at Rutgers University (GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!) and works at Sneaker Factory in Millburn, NJ!  

GO JC! 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

And, a Purdue grad to boot!  Okay, so only I care about that....

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Paula Radcliffe.  Were we expecting her to compete?  She's not.

xor

And Desi isn't.  Or is.

A couple days ago, her coach (Hanson) announced that she was out.  She followed that with... wait for it, a tweet... indicating that dropping was news to her.

I dunno what has happened since then, I've been too mesmerized by synchronized diving and trying to figure out why swimmers wear two swim caps.

And Hope Solo continues to be, in my opinion, kind of douchey.  But that's just based on what I've read, which is definitely slanted.  Oh yeah, she's got a book coming out Real Soon Now, so it is in her best interest to stay The Flavor of the Week.  (my opinion: get off your phone, shut up, and stop the damn ball.)

Imminent Catastrophe

I also heard that Shalane might not run the marathon if she's in the 10,000. Haven't checked it out though.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I thought Flanagan said back at the Trials that she was opting out of the 10 ... ?  That she ran it in Eugene because it was the race for the national championship?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Chris UK

Speaking of multi-medallists. One of your gymnasts won 3 gold, 2 silver and a bronze in the space of a day - and he had a wooden leg!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Eyser

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Speaking of multi-medallists. One of your gymnasts won 3 gold, 2 silver and a bronze in the space of a day - and he had a wooden leg!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Eyser

Cheetah Blade V0.1-Beta, no doubt.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I thought Flanagan said back at the Trials that she was opting out of the 10 ... ?  That she ran it in Eugene because it was the race for the national championship?

Yes, she is entered in the marathon and not the 10k.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Is this the issue created by the logo looking like it's Lisa Simpson giving oral pleasure?  

Once you've read this, you can't the logo any other way.  Thanks a lot...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, and there are springboard AND platform divisions. Couldn't they at least combine some of these events into an overall?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Diving in overalls!

BRADLEY WIGGINS!

Runners run