Blood donation (Read 966 times)

redleaf

Hi. I'm new here but I thought I'd chime in on this one. In 2003, I was told that I would not be able to donate again because I would be spending a year in London - from autumn 2003 to autumn 2004. So I didn't donate again. Then someone else asked a similar question and I went and checked. Turns out I was given the wrong info. In Canada at any rate the "rules" are: -three months or more in the United Kingdom (U.K.) between January 1980, and December 31, 1996 -three months or more in France between January 1980, and December 31, 1996, -five years or more in Western Europe outside the U.K. or France since 1980. I didn't hit my "3 months" in the UK until my 2003-2004 trip, well outside the time period in question. So I can give blood again. I am a newbie runner - currently on week 2 of a learn to run programme - so I don't think the lethargy, or lack of oxygen, that donating may cause will perceptively alter my performance... Big grin

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

C-R

Short answer - it depends. Depends on your current health and fitness level. Since you are just starting out on running - donation day don't run and relax/rehydrate. Go slow and short the next few days as you will feel a bit tired from reduced red cells. Keep well hydrated and listen to your body.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Short answer - it depends. Depends on your current health and fitness level. Since you are just starting out on running - donation day don't run and relax/rehydrate. Go slow and short the next few days as you will feel a bit tired from reduced red cells. Keep well hydrated and listen to your body.
        Ditto on this. My husband donates Apheresis every six weeks and he's a runner (although he hates to admit it since he hates running). His only restriction is that he doesn't run the day of giving, and he drinks extra water that day as well. The next day he runs and has never had an issue.

Michelle