What does it take to cancel a race? (Read 653 times)

Runner

I was supposed to run a little local 5k this morning, but got to the registration and they said because of a "storm coming" they were cancelling the race and moving the date. I was pretty pissed b/c it wasn't a race I wanted to do but rather one that I was doing as part of a training plan for another. At least I hadn't pre-registered and drove for a while to get there though as I'm sure some people did. I ran the course and then did a little extra on top of that. I have ran several races in much worse conditions. I think they have screwed up royally because now any races that take place in our small town are going to be looked down at by most runners and there will either be non-cometitive small events or no races at all. What should it take to cancel a race?

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Slo

Lightning ought to do it.

Prince of Fatness

Lightning ought to do it.
        Yeah that's a big one. Really I would think it's anything that would jeopardize the safety of the runners. Lightning, ice on the course, things of that nature.

Not at it at all. 

Slo

Weather is a tough one for the RD's. Given this sue happy world we live in. I suppose one would have to consider the length of the race and the severity of the storm. If was a 90% probability it was going to hit and it contained lightning and high winds I could see delaying the race until the storm passed. Your still gonna piss off some people. And sometimes new and inexperienced RD's will underestimate what people will show up for.
          mikeymike

I've only ever seen one race "cancelled" around here and it was due to about a foot of new snow. But the runners ran anyway. The RD made an announcement along the lines of, "The local police have just told us that the race has been cancelled. I told them thank you very much however I think some of the runners are still planning to go out for a group run on the course on the public roadways at their own risk." And we did. Someone yelled go, there was a finish line, etc. But I guess it wasn't an "official" race.

Runners run

Half Fanatic #846

I once went to a small town 5K as some really serious-looking weather was moving in. Just after the start of the race came a heavy downpour with lots of wind. Then it started lightning heavily and very close by, which caused the city to send out several police cars to pick up runners to take them to safety. I don't know if anyone took advantage (we ALL should have!), but the race finished without cancelling. So yeah, it usually takes a lot to cancel a race!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Race director's discretion. Runners don't generally get to sign a contract that says they will receive a race for paying their registration. The RD risks losing trust when canceling a race, but in the end, it is to his or her discretion. End of story. Oh, and lightning too.
                  Ice. Lightning. Flood. In 1982, the old Maryland Marathon, which was an early competitor to the NYCM, MCM and Chicago Marathons which were all run within a week or two of each other in the 1970's, was cancelled on race morning due to an overnight ice storm that blanked the course with up to an inch of ice. It never recovered from the ire of those affected, went downhill in size for 7 years and finally died in 1989. Last year's Lewis & Clark (MO) Marathon wasn't cancelled, but it was shortened to 10 miles due to flooding.
                  pandajenn19

Lewis & Clark was absolutely insane last year. I left my house in what would ordinarily have gotten me to the race with 45-30 minutes to spare. I was still in a crazy long line at the supposed start time, and ended up missing the race completely. Which was probably a good thing, in the end. Although, had I known the start time had been delayed due to the weather, I would have just stuck it out in the line and run what I could, just to say I was really there. Smile This gives a decent idea of the conditions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63jy8ihP0xc

A Saucy Wench

We had a 10K/20K go on this Jan with plenty of ice on the ground. A few falls and bloody noses and knees. But we ran.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Imminent Catastrophe

Western States 100 canceled last year due to forest fires on the route. I guess that would do it too.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lewis & Clark ... This gives a decent idea of the conditions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63jy8ihP0xc
                          Ugh, that's some water... and re: forest fires Yeah, that would discourage me from running the race whether they cancelled it or not!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.