This is why we should be proud to be a runner... (Read 636 times)

With all the fiasco of cancellation of NYC Marathon, it brought tears to my eyes to hear that all those runners, who trained months and months for this race and missed out the opportunity, spent thousands of dollars to come all the way to NY only to find out the race was cancelled...and regroup themselves and turned their attention to helping others: http://newmarathon.tumblr.com while in some other sports, their "games" go on and those out-of-shape heavy hitters or big strong guys with their gut hanging over their pants, making millions of dollars in salary only to spend those big bucks to purchasing drugs, performance-oriented or not.

I felt proud to be a runner.  Wouldn't you?

northernman

Fight The Future

Yes!

Actually brings a lump to my throat.

Every now and then I think there is  hope for the human race.

kcam

With all the fiasco of cancellation of NYC Marathon, it brought tears to my eyes to hear that all those runners, who trained months and months for this race and missed out the opportunity, spent thousands of dollars to come all the way to NY only to find out the race was cancelled...and regroup themselves and turned their attention to helping others: http://newmarathon.tumblr.com while in some other sports, their "games" go on and those out-of-shape heavy hitters or big strong guys with their gut hanging over their pants, making millions of dollars in salary only to spend those big bucks to purchasing drugs, performance-oriented or not.

I felt proud to be a runner.  Wouldn't you?

Of course, that makes me proud to be a runner and I'd have joined that group if I'd been in NYC for the marathon.  No need to disparage professional sports players, was Meb or any of the other professional runners out there with that group?  The NFLPA is donating $1million.

Thanks for posting this, Nobby.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog