6 day Break, Boston Coming (Read 123 times)

heelgrad92

I am considering taking the kids to Vail during the Spring Break on Sunday.  I am also training for Boston coming on April 15, now doing 70 mile weeks, with a 1:31:05 HM from last week, a 10K coming up this Saturday, and another HM on March 17th.  I am realistic,there is no way I am going to train and ski, so that's a 6 day hole 6 weeks from Boston.  Am I risking blowing my quest for a new PR?

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

If you wanted to try to get in some training, I've gone to the Vail Athletic Club at the Vail Mountain Lodge to use their treadmills (and hot tub). Since you're done skiing by 4:00 in the afternoon, it's not too hard to get in some TM time. Just a thought.

xhristopher

No.

MTA: I wish it were possible for the OP to modify the post into a poll. I suppose this is a feature request.

I'm with jerseyrunner! If you really, really want to, you can get access to a treadmill and get your runs in, or at least some version of your planned runs. I've done this on hiking holidays: 6-8 hours hiking during the day, short rest at home, then out for a run. Actually quite a fitness boost, though I'm not sure whether skiing has the same effect.

L Train

I am considering taking the kids to Vail during the Spring Break on Sunday...  

Am I risking blowing my quest for a new PR?

Maybe off topic, but even if you are blowing your chances, there will always be more chances at PRs.  You won't get more chances to go to Vail with your kids at their current ages.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Maybe off topic, but even if you are blowing your chances, there will always be more chances at PRs.  You won't get more chances to go to Vail with your kids at their current ages.

+1

steph  

I am considering taking the kids to Vail .  Am I risking blowing my quest for a new PR?

No.

Have fun with the kids.

Worry about how to trim 10 minutes off that marathon PR.

Get off my porch

No.

Six weeks out with uour fitness you'll barely notice it. Ski your ass off. Enjoy. Don't try to run while you're there. No brainer.

Hell, it could wind up being 90 degrees at Boston.

I miss Vail.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Imminent Catastrophe

No. Enjoy your skiing and don't hurt your knees. The break might actually do you some good.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xhristopher

I think taking a week off will be good for you overall as a runner. It will show you exactly what loosing a week doesn't loose you at the peak of your cycle. Next go round, if you are sick, or have a similar interruption you will know just what to expect.

heelgrad92

No.

Six weeks out with uour fitness you'll barely notice it. Ski your ass off. Enjoy. Don't try to run while you're there. No brainer.

Hell, it could wind up being 90 degrees at Boston.

I miss Vail.

Yes, the 90 degree day is the norm for me and marathons.  It's good to hear from other experienced runners about this.  My training has been going so well, I don't want to screw it up.  Of course, I also want to go to Vail....