UPDATE: Running a 5k to WARM UP for a 5k (Read 782 times)

Hey to everyone who responded to my question last week! Hope everyone had an excellent Turkey Day! I surely did, it's always nice to see friends and family. Anyways, I just wanted to let you all know: (A) I skipped the warm up - I didn't have quite enough time with my mom, aunt and cousin there, we were kind of socializing and I wasn't too serious about the race, so I voted against taking a serious warm up (B) Rgardless of my 10 mile per week base, my lack of speed training and my lack of warming up, I set a PR for myself for the 5k. Nothing that would blow serious 5ker's out of the water, but for me, 9:06 pace is the fastest I've run since I trained for and ran my half this October. Best of all, I was totally able to pour it on the last quarter of a mile or so when most people were petering out I blew past them sprinting and they're all like "whhhaaaa???!" It felt AWESOME!!! Thanks for all the feedback and support on my question, it definitely helped. I love our running community here! Thanks guys and good luck. -April PS: Hey - not too much longer than a month and a half ago when I was training for my HM I DID have a 20+ mile base - give me some credit!!!! You're making me feel lazy/untrained. I was doing it! Just naturally dropped off since my race without anything to train for + the time change. Excuses, excuses, I know!

2012: Just run.

Slo

Congrats on the PR ! That's one of the great things about this sport. You don't have to be 1st across the finish line to realize your accomplishments! Keep up the work.
        Hey - not too much longer than a month and a half ago when I was training for my HM I DID have a 20+ mile base - give me some credit!!!! You're making me feel lazy/untrained. I was doing it! Just naturally dropped off since my race without anything to train for + the time change. Excuses, excuses, I know!
        We never thought you didn't have a 20+ mile base previously....GREAT JOB on PB and you know 9:06 per mile...your right you might not scare the top runners with time, but its a nice solid respectible time for your race and you should be proud of it. We're proud of you..... Smile Big grin Wink Wink Big grin Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

and it is fun to sprint past people at the end -- I completely agree Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.