5K PR-Puked-Disappointed (Read 864 times)

So today was the first 5K race in quite a while. I have been doing a lot of longer slow miles, and I know my easy pace has dropped in the last few months. I was not only hoping for a PR at the 5K distance, but hoping to CRUSH it. My previous PR was 38:44. I was hoping to come in under 37:00 today. I really wanted to see the 36Tight lippedx. For the first time at a race I really understood why "real" runners run before the race. In my long runs my first mile is always slower until things loosen up. So today I decided I would run some real easy before the race starts. I got in just over .5 mile but I didn't time it quite right. (So much still to learn!) When the gun sounded I took off. I had planned to start off conservatively, and then get faster every mile. Planned being the key word. I got about .25 miles in before looking down to realize I was running under 10:00/mile. Way too fast for me. I dialed it down, but definitely kept pushing myself. The whole race was tough. I pushed the whole way. It never felt great, and yet I was confident in my times at each marker. Mile 1- 11:24 Wow, that seemed fast. I wasn't sure I would be able to hold on. Mile 2-12:15 pace slower but I didn't realize that would be too slow to hit my goal. Mile 3-12:13 pace. At this point I knew I was in the homestretch but I was HURTING!! I told myself to just hold on! At about a 1/4 mile left to go I had a serious side stitch. I turned the corner and could see the finish line. I looked down at the ground in front of me, trying to will my body to keep moving. The last .1 was an 11:40 pace, so I didn't slow down as much as I thought. Then came the last 20 yards. The dry heaves started. I have had this happen before and was able to hold on through the finish and not puke. Well, today I made it through the finish, but the clock said 37:02. And then I bent over and puked. I hear the ewws from the crowd, but at that point what can you do. So I am left with mixed emotions. I know I pushed as hard as I could. I can't think of a time in the race where I could have pushed faster than what I did. But 3 seconds??? How can I not have found 3 seconds somewhere? I think in time I will be able to enjoy the new PR. I am motivated to continue. I am often impatient for my body to catch up with my desires. I have so much room for improvement, with continued weight loss and training I know I can get to where I want to be mentally. But at the moment I am disappointed that I missed breaking 37 minutes by only 3 seconds.
      Was it a chip-timed race? If the finish clock said 37:02, your actual time was probably well under 37:00, unless you started at the very front of the crowd. And don't forget that you just smashed your old PR. So, congrats! And hurling at the finish is cool. I should know.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Hey you still crushed your PR, great job. Nothing wrong with a little puke. I was looking to crush my PR this morning too. I was looking for something for sure in the 20Tight lippedx range. First mile went well 6:45, then I got lost in no man's land. We went into the wooded path and I lost sight of the guys in front of me and there was no one behind me so my pace slipped a little bit. About half way in a couple of kids on bikes asked me how long the race was, "Just over 3 miles," I said. Followed by a "Whoa", that made me chuckle. Came in at 21:52 versus the 23:26 PR from 9 months ago. I am pleased considering I haven't even gone on a tempo run since July. Plus a $10 gift card, free taco, free rootbeer float, some great "carbon-footprint" oranges, and of course the t-shirt all for $15.
          You puked. Forget your time. You puked. That, my friend, is an accomplishment I can only hope to do. You put it on the line. You missed your time by 3 seconds. I've been in that exact spot (See 4 mile race from December 08). It sucks for a minute, but look at where you once were. You crushed your 5k time. Not only that, but running is a lifetime sport. You didn't get this time, but lo and behold, next time you'll outrun yourself. Keep that head up. I check your log quite often and think it's awesome to see the progress you've made.

A Saucy Wench

Awesome job!!!! If you puked that means you didnt have 3 seconds left in there. You should feel great about this race!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Queen of 3rd Place

Cool! You puked! Way to put it out there! Arla

Ex runner

Great race report! 1 minute 41 seconds off a 5K is hard...Excellent! Forget the 3 seconds! Sounds like you ran your heart out (and, a few more organs maybe Wink)! Congrats!
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Totally understand being disappointed today. Try not to let it get you down. Tomorrow you can enjoy that you took a chunk off your previous PR and really enjoy it! Nice work!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Dave

Puking is the coolest. Well done.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

#artbydmcbride

ewwwww! Big grin Seriously, I'm kidding, that was awesome! Warm up more next time and push until you hurl again, your times are going to keep improving! Congratulations on your new PR!

Runners run

Jill_B

I fly.

Don't be disappointed, you ran a great race!

Bring it on.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awesome job!!!! If you puked that means you didnt have 3 seconds left in there. You should feel great about this race!
                          Yep! You left everything you had on the course...then added your stomach contents to the completion side of that finish line. Sounds like a successful race! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

De-slacking in progress

Is it on video ? Did other runners applaud ? Big grinBig grinBig grinBig grin Great job on your new PR.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

With determination like that, debbiemc19, you can do ANYTHING. Well done!
                                The Good Times series is just perfect for an all-out effort like that, it finishes along the mighty Merrimack. I have yet to chum the river, but there is still hope for me. Great effort, kudos to you.

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.