Technical explanation for why your GPSsucks at elevation (Read 850 times)

BlazinCajun

To calculate accurate vertical elevations you need a device that can sychronize with another device logging verticle data over a known point during a time when the vertical dilution of precision (VDOP) is at its best. This is called differential correction - farmers use this all the time and the differential device masks SV's of a particular elevation above the horizon. Garmin elevation data is most useful when running/biking in elevation extremes.

Andrew
    ------------------
    God, my Lord, is my strength;
    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
    and enables me to go upon the heights.
    Hb 3:19

dennrunner

- farmers use this all the time

??.  Could you give an example application?

Imminent Catastrophe

Very interesting.  But I don't buy that this explains most of the elevation variation I see in GPS.  Gravimetric bumpiness at the scale of an entire planet would not explain the GPS-derived elevation error that I see on a scale of a few hundred feet.  I would think it just has to do with problems of triangulation in a perpendicular plane reducing precision.

Yes, and it would effect barometric devices equally. 

Personally, I preferred my Loran backpack-watch.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

BlazinCajun

Here are a couple of links to Differential GPS Aplications.

How does Differential GPS work?

Precision Agricultural GPS Solutions

Andrew
          ------------------
          God, my Lord, is my strength;
          he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
          and enables me to go upon the heights.
          Hb 3:19

dennrunner

Here are a couple of links to Differential GPS Aplications.

How does Differential GPS work?

Precision Agricultural GPS Solutions

Interesting.  I find it hard to believe that the agricultural auto steer, leveling, etc market will be anything but miniscule.  But it is kind of cool.

Interesting.  I find it hard to believe that the agricultural auto steer, leveling, etc market will be anything but miniscule.  But it is kind of cool.

Do you have any idea what a tractor or combine cost these days?  They may not sell to the masses, but the price of an individual unit is hidden in the price of a multi-hundred thousand dollar unit.  Many farmers are much more high-tech than most people realize, and have been for years. 

dennrunner

Do you have any idea what a tractor or combine cost these days?  They may not sell to the masses, but the price of an individual unit is hidden in the price of a multi-hundred thousand dollar unit.  Many farmers are much more high-tech than most people realize, and have been for years. 

Yes, I do.

It wasn't a comment on GPS technology versus the cost of equipment.  It was a market size comment.  And it wasn't a knock on farmers (most of one side of my family are or were farmers).  It's just that there aren't many farmers anymore.  And though the number of applicable farm equipment units has grown in recent years, the gross number is relatively small compared to, say, automobiles (or even runners).  But if it's a market that makes economic sense for the buyers and sellers, okay by me.

flatland mountaineer

Yes, I do.

It wasn't a comment on GPS technology versus the cost of equipment.  It was a market size comment.  And it wasn't a knock on farmers (most of one side of my family are or were farmers).  It's just that there aren't many farmers anymore.  And though the number of applicable farm equipment units has grown in recent years, the gross number is relatively small compared to, say, automobiles (or even runners).  But if it's a market that makes economic sense for the buyers and sellers, okay by me.

The short answer is they just charge more but it is getting cheaper and yes some of it is buried in the total cost. On some things you have to pay a fee to unlock features that are already in the units. My tractor running John Deere's proprietary DGPS SFII signal planting on previous tilled strips laid out by the same Autosteer tractor. It has led to some pretty incredible fuel savings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wLpqG9RTJM

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Just a dude.

I work in the construction industry. One of my tasks is to build models for use with a GPS system, and to set up our GPS systems in the field. We have bulldozers, graders, compactors, and even excavators with GPS units in them.

When we take a section of wilderness and turn it into a housing development or a road or whatever, we need to be very accurate both vertically and horizontally.  

The ONLY way we can be accurate enough is to use a differential GPS system.  We carefully calibrate a base station from usually 3-5 accurately surveyed points.  That base station generally knows where it is in the real world to within about half an inch.  (.02 feet is the best I've seen, .07 feet the worst)

That base station then listens to the satellites.  It compares the information it is getting and builds an offset to its real location.  It can be compensating for gravity, for atmospheric conditions, or for whatever.

The base station then broadcasts that offset to all of our machines. The machines apply the offset to the information they receive from the satellites, and are generally accurate to about an inch (vertically and horizontally.)  They lose as much as an inch of accuracy per mile from the base station.  

These offsets, especially vertically, can be hundreds of feet, even if the GPS receivers can "see" 7 or 8 satellites.

Some cities have networks of base stations setup on certain frequencies that can be used to get within a couple inches.  Reno Nevada has one, but it works on a different frequency than we use, so we set up our own base stations.

The construction setup is rather expensive... But, it has to handle the rigors of life in a bulldozer in the rain or the snow.  It has to be quite accurate (Generally, our contracts require about a 1 inch tolerance).  We are a smallish company but we have 4 base stations, 4 hand held rovers, and several machines.  

It seems that if some company wanted to, they could build car or wrist mounted GPSs that could see city wide networks if they were available.  Even being accurate to a foot or so would be better than being off 50 feet...  Its probably nearly as accurate and much cheaper to put in an altimeter of some kind though...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...