Tempo run fuel (Read 844 times)

I have an aggressive tempo run tomorrow morning. On my typical AM easy runs, I just go out on an empty stomach. Tomorrows run should be a little over an hour and fairly tough. I've heard people having a gel 15 minutes before starting. Thoughts?
      I don't think you need anything. It's an hour run.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Imminent Catastrophe

I've read that you should not consume any carbs from 3 hours to 5 minutes before your run, but this applied to long runs. Something to do with blood sugar. It's worth experimenting.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

mikeymike

I don't eat anything before morning runs like that. I usually drink some gatorade and water since I wake up a bit dehydrated but that's it.

Runners run

I like to have a little bit to eat before a quick paced run. Usually something simple like some plain yogurt, water and a banana. Occasionally I will have a gel, if there is one around. I'm good with or without food though. For an hour, I wouldn't be too concerned.
            - Tony
              I don't eat anything before morning runs like that. I usually drink some gatorade and water since I wake up a bit dehydrated but that's it.
              You the man Mike! Come on glycogen!
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

+1

Prince of Fatness

+2

Not at it at all. 

Eating immediately before a run can cause your blood sugar to bottom out. If must eat, do it once you start running, not before. Don't worry about eating before a one hour run though since you have more than enough carbohydrates already stored up, around 2000 calories for most of us. Tom
                      Eating immediately before a run can cause your blood sugar to bottom out. If must eat, do it once you start running, not before. Don't worry about eating before a one hour run though since you have more than enough carbohydrates already stored up, around 2000 calories for most of us. Tom
                      Exactly what happened to me a couple years ago. Foolishly tried a "pre-workout" formula and had my worst run ever. I have a friend that is hypoglycemic and I kinda looked like them when they had an episode. Tongue

protoplasm72

+3

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson