To the RA peeps in warmer climates... (Read 692 times)

Another Passion

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED ALONG WITH STRONG WINDS... MAKING TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. AVOID TRAVEL TONIGHT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Roll eyes
    Doesn't say anything about not running in it though. Big grin Black eye Modified to add: We're already getting the nasty winds here on the southeast corner of the state, Zoomie. It's just a roaring outside right now!

Rick
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

chrimbler

That's a windchill of -65.2 ºF Shocked I hope you ran fast...owch!!! How do you avoid frostbite?
      Who said I avoided it? Surprised Layers and a balaclava
      Run like you stole it!
        Layers and a balaclava
        Must be one helluva balaclava.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Len

Damn Yankee

and my MIL said it was in the 60s by her yesterday...she lives only about 8 hours away from us and our temps were about half that. k
          How lucky are you! It's wasn't cold, but the wind was ridiculous here in NE Texas. My run was more like a steeplechase, hopping over fallen limbs and puddles.. MIL 8 hours away, that's awesome.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

It's wasn't cold, but the wind was ridiculous here in NE Texas. My run was more like a steeplechase, hopping over fallen limbs and puddles.
            And fences - at least 5-6 homes on my route tonight had their entire privacy fences blown down. I just watched the news and we had record winds for January - ever.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I was thinking of you cold weather folks during my 10 mile run, after dark, in the rain.....where I did the last 4 miles with no shirt on b/c it was still warm enough and the rain felt so good. I think running is the number one reason why I can't imagine moving back to a cold climate (grew up in upstate NY).
              Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Here in west central IL, yesterday was schizophrenic. It got up to 57 degrees by around 10 a.m., but 3 p.m. it had dropped to the low 20s with wind gusts in the 50s and light swirling snow (our neighbors slightly north had blizzard whiteouts). By the evening, it had dropped to single digits (now 3 degrees this a.m.) with major wind and wind chills in the -20-40 range. The funny thing was that we had a blizzard warning in effect when it was 57 degrees because the forecast was so ugly and inevitable.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I was thinking of you cold weather folks during my 10 mile run, after dark, in the rain.....where I did the last 4 miles with no shirt on b/c it was still warm enough and the rain felt so good. I think running is the number one reason why I can't imagine moving back to a cold climate (grew up in upstate NY).
                  That's funny - I think running is the number one reason why I can't imagine moving back to a WARM climate! 10 degrees is so much better than 70! It's already hot in my hometown, Austin. Blech.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here in west central IL, yesterday was schizophrenic. It got up to 57 degrees by around 10 a.m., but 3 p.m. it had dropped to the low 20s with wind gusts in the 50s and light swirling snow (our neighbors slightly north had blizzard whiteouts). By the evening, it had dropped to single digits (now 3 degrees this a.m.) with major wind and wind chills in the -20-40 range. The funny thing was that we had a blizzard warning in effect when it was 57 degrees because the forecast was so ugly and inevitable.
                    Yep, where my MIL lives.... She was telling us how warm it was in the AM, now you guys have weather about like ours. I have never seen so many school closings in this area. DH stayed home since he is STILL feeling under the weather almost a week after he first came down with the flu and DS has a snow-day. So it's family lay-around-and-eat-crap time, I think. Wink Man, I do sorta want to go run in this stuff just for HTFU points (and the sun is coming out, so there's a certain moderating effect that has), but my lungs are in bad shape. I don't think I have the flu (no body aches or fever), but trying to run in bitter cold with a bronchial bug and asthma is probably not a good idea. Gah, my mileage the last couple of weeks really sucks. That 1500 mile bunny is no longer even in sight. I have a LOT of catch-up miles to do over the next couple of months.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

43 degrees in Maine, lol! Warmest I can remember it in ages. Not even raining. The next few days don't look too cold, either. I guess we'll enjoy it while it lasts.
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think I said it the Michigander's forum, but I'll say it again here -- when you get that kind of weather, just hunker down and drink. Cool

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think I said it the Michigander's forum, but I'll say it again here -- when you get that kind of weather, just hunker down and drink. Cool
                          I had a hot toddy last night...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Well...this morning on the 5:00 am walk into the plant, it had to be -20 with the windchill. It is really nice as the wind blows accross Clinton Lake in Illinois and picks up speed...ain't NO WAY I would go out running...that'd freeze your nose hairs....I would go camping though... Cool
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Atta girl. Almost make you wish for bad weather, doesn't it? Not that you need bad weather to enjoy a hot toddy, but it seems to help...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Beatin' on the Rock

They're really good with Nyquil.
                                Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.