Should I run the race? (Read 491 times)

Outside Lane

Picked up my bib today for 2009 Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8K. Race is tomorrow (Sunday) morning. Winter weather advisory tonight - about 3 inches of snow expected (actually up to 6 in where I live northwest of the city - I have about an hour drive to get to the city). Temp at race time projected to be 33 F (feels like 21 F) - winds at 20 mph - with snow (90% chance of precip). I have run this race 6 times - it's traditionally the "first run of the season" here - and has been chilly before, but nothing like this. I was going to run with my nephew but he can't make it (nothing to do with the weather), so I would be running alone. What would you do?

See how they run...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would totally do it. Compared to what we ran in from Dec-Feb that's great weather. Besides, brutal weather makes for a WAY better race report than ideal conditions.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

beat

Break on through

I'd run it! I'd leave extra time for driving and wear some layers. A race in the snow can be a lot of fun.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

anneb

I am running this tomorrow as well, but don't have to deal with driving since I am about 2 miles from home to gear check. I will be honest - I am not quite as excited about it as I would have been, say, last weekend. But whatever. Just think of all the no-shows there will be!

Anne

xor

Drive aside, it's an 8k, so I'd totally do it. A marathon or ultra in those conditions, I dunno. I turned my 50k into a marathon just this morning because it was too nasty to go further. But I'm a wuss when it comes to driving. Not sure I'd drive in with weather like that. Sorry I can't say yay or nay. Neigh!

missy1102

i have a 90 mile drive from milwaukee and we're getting between 8-10" but i'll be there!!!!!!!!!!! hope to see you too!

Outside Lane

I ran the race! Time was terrible (my worst run in this race in the 7 times I have done it) - but I did it! Nothing like running through slush for 5 miles while rain/snow/sleet continues to fall from the sky. It reminded me of trying to run in sand (only wetter and colder!). Anyway, thousands turned out despite the freak snowstorm that hit the Chicago area. The run lost alot of its charm this year due to the weather but I am still glad that I got out and did it. I took a couple pictures on my phone that I will try to post later. As I drove in from out northwest of the city, I was hoping to see the snow change to rain (or just stop altogether) as I got closer in, but that was not the case. As I pulled into the city off the expressway, the snow was howling (snowing sideways) through the canyons of the tall building in Chicago's Loop (downtown area). I parked in the underground garage in Grant Park and made my way up the stairs into Grant Park. Sidewalks were covered in ice/snow/slush - yep, feet were probably wet in the first 5 minutes. Had about 30 mins until start of the race, so just huddled with others in the starting corrals waiting for the start. Jumped around a bit to try to keep warm and loose. There are always a wide range of runners, old and young, elite and newbie, in this run - all shapes and sizes - everyone out to start the season off the right way. A new start is always refreshing. Every once in a while the wind would whip up (Windy City, right?) and everyone would turn around to shield themselves from the blowing snow. I was in one of the back starting corrals, so it took a while to cross the starting line (about 20 mins after the start), but it felt good to finally start running. Felt pretty good for the first mile, but felt like I needed a few seconds of walking somewhere right before mile 2 marker - didn't start quick - I think it was just the elements and .... I probably overdressed - double layers on the bottom (including double cotton socks) and triple layers on top with big winter hat. I just felt weigthed down - and that slush was a bitch. Anyway I walked a few times again throughout the 5 mile run. Just a lot of people splashing slush and really too crappy of a day to really enjoy it. The crowd support - and the other thousands of runners moving ahead - kept me moving along. And, yes, this middle-age back-of-the-packer finished the 2009 Shamrock Shuffle 8K in just about the crappiest weather I could have imagined - time was about 59 min Shocked. Grabbed some bananas and bagels - and trekked back through the slush to my car to head home to a warm bath. Anyway, it's done.

See how they run...

anneb

Way to get out there and race! Yeah, if I never have to run in slush again it will be too soon for me. Good job.

Anne

Outside Lane

Shamrock Shuffle 2009 - huddling in the starting corrals waiting for the start... You can't see the buildings clearly because the snow was still coming down....

See how they run...

missy1102

yay! way to HTFU and get out there!! i almost died getting there but i eventually got there and ran the race. tough conditions like already described and i ran it about 80% effort b/c i didn't want to slip/fall/hurt myself 3 weeks before boston. finished in 38:52, about 2 mins slower than anticipated under better conditions but hey. i'm glad i got out there with a few thousand of my running buddies and am grateful to be healthy and running well Wink

Outside Lane

Great run Missy! That's an awesome time! Best of luck in Boston. I wish you far better weather for that run! I am so ready for warm sunny days. Smile

See how they run...

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Great race. Yikes! What conditions. Even living in Michigan's snow globe, we don't usually see conditions like that for the big Irish Jig (that was last week).
                          March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)