Feet cramping after runs... (Read 605 times)

Giants Fan

New thing..never happened before...started after my race Sunday (1/2 marathon) and the last couple of times after my runs this week...my feet are cramping. So what did I do wrong? What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks-

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

mikeymike

Could be you're wearing stability shoes when you need neutral shoes. Could be you're tying your shoes too tight. Could be your socks are too thick. Or it could be a hundred other things.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or a shoe that is too stiff or too large (heh...that's open for a dirty joke. Where's Rick?). Where is the cramping? I have had it on the outside of my arches (peroneal tendonitis) from a shoe that didn't flex enough. I've also had cramping directly underneath my arch from a pair that was too long, since it made my toes work extra hard to stay in the shoe.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It could be that you just ran hard and you need time to recover? run slower?
            I concur with jsobo119. My new favorite blog, the Science of Sport, has a whole series on cramping: http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-1-theories-and.html The two guys that write the blog studied under Tim Noakes who wrote the 921 page book, "Lore of Running", so I believe they are credible sources of running stuff.

Giants Fan

Ok, maybe I just need some recovery time. I doubt its the shoes because I haven't changed anything with those lately and since the cramping just started....its just my whole foot cramps up, toes curl up...thanks for the ideas! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz