3rd 5k PR in 5 weeks (Read 1350 times)

she runs like a girl

Former 5k PR: 21:59

Feb 7th - 21:42

Mar 7th - 21:06

Mar 13th - 20:32 (rain/hail and winds gusting at 40 miles/hour)

Just feeling really good about it and I thought I'd share it with the other people in the world who might care too

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

Congrats, Kimmie!  Perhaps you're getting your break-through.

Say, you said somewhere that you were a sprinter???  Just curious, what was your 400m time?

she runs like a girl

Congrats, Kimmie!  Perhaps you're getting your break-through.

Say, you said somewhere that you were a sprinter???  Just curious, what was your 400m time?

Thank Nobby! When I was a sprinter I actually never did the 400 seriously because I hated it it was simply "too far" of a distance to run - or at least I said then. My best 400 was 1:03 but my my short distances were better: 100m -12.42 and 200m 26.26

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

325th place or bust!

Nice going!  How did you bring it down so much?

I'd like to brag that I brought my 5K time down 3 minutes last year but it was from 25:31 to 22:41.  Smile  It's pretty easy to get those slow times lower when getting regular training miles.  I'm still dreaming about getting down to the 20-minute range...

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Thank Nobby! When I was a sprinter I actually never did the 400 seriously because I hated it it was simply "too far" of a distance to run - or at least I said then. My best 400 was 1:03 but my my short distances were better: 100m -12.42 and 200m 26.26

Kimmie:

26 seconds!!  Wow!  Have you thought about trying 800 or 1500?  I think you'll do really well!!

I mean, REALLY well!!!

Aaron Heath

Nice work!

she runs like a girl

Thanks everyone I really appreciate hearing the congratuations!

I never really thought I'd hit 20 minutes this early in the season but my goal for fall is to go sub 20 because I'd really like to try out for my school's cross country team.

Kimmie:

26 seconds!!  Wow!  Have you thought about trying 800 or 1500?  I think you'll do really well!!

I mean, REALLY well!!!

Nobby, I have never even considered these distances but now I am thinking about it  I love distance running but I get a little nostalgic about my sprinting past. I stopped because my small school did not have a track team and I never felt good enough to do cross country

I do have 2 good reasons for suddenly improving so much. 1st - I have a new training partner who is faster than I am and pulls me through workouts and for the first time every I feel mentally ready to run races. I am conifdent in my training and feel like I deserve to be up at the front with the fast girls

and for the first time every I feel mentally ready to run races. I am conifdent in my training and feel like I deserve to be up at the front with the fast girls

WTG Kimmie!

And this, "—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

wannaberunner

I look my best blurry!

Oh to be young!  Great job!
                    Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

WOW! Congratulations!

TRUST THE PROCESS

keeponrunning

Nice going Kimmie!!!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

steferfootballdu

Thanks everyone I really appreciate hearing the congratuations!

I never really thought I'd hit 20 minutes this early in the season but my goal for fall is to go sub 20 because I'd really like to try out for my school's cross country team.

Nobby, I have never even considered these distances but now I am thinking about it  I love distance running but I get a little nostalgic about my sprinting past. I stopped because my small school did not have a track team and I never felt good enough to do cross country

I do have 2 good reasons for suddenly improving so much. 1st - I have a new training partner who is faster than I am and pulls me through workouts and for the first time every I feel mentally ready to run races. I am conifdent in my training and feel like I deserve to be up at the front with the fast girls

Kimmi, don't think for a second that you have to run under 20 to run cross country. You will have success, even running in the 20's.

Keep working on it, you have much natural talent... and a heck of a lot of foot speed.

keeponrunning

not to speak for kim, but she may mean that you have to run that time to even qualify for xc.  she is in university, so it is a little more challenging than high school.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Another Passion

Awesome, Kimmi!  Congratulations!

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

xhristopher

That's pretty impressive, especially the March 13th race!

This has me wondering … to what degree is running semi frequent 5Ks good training for running faster 5Ks, especially for runners with a good base, such as Kimmi. If no specific prior speedwork was done can one expect a reasonable progression? If so, I suspect a plateau would be reached quickly and more specific training or volume would be necessary for further improvement.

I'm curious because I'm targeting an April 11th 5K but can't decide what might be better training this Wednesday, a local weekly 5K series or an interval workout.