Am I running too fast? (Read 1146 times)

mikeymike

Pace and heart rate are important for workouts, but for easy/recovery runs, you should really go by perceived exertion. Some days, you need to take it easy because you thrashed your legs the night before; other days, you can do your easy run at a fairly high aerobic pace. When you're not doing a workout at a prescribed pace, just run the way you feel: quick when you feel good, slow when you feel sore and tired. I believe in basing easy pace off of your periodization, also. During base training, it's a good idea to keep the pace fairly brisk on your easy runs. You're able to do this because you're not doing killer workouts. During your special/specific prep periods, it makes sense to back off the pace and mileage of your easy runs so that you can focus on really nailing your key workouts.
    I don't use a HRM but I agree with this. When I'm actually training for something and doing workouts, my easy days get much slower, maybe a minute per mile slower than when I'm not. I say go by effort, not by McMillan or HRM. This is true for training AND racing. I don't think about it, usually, but looking back my normal easy pace, when I'm not training for anything, is about a minute slower than my MP. The day after a hard workout, though, it could be as much as 2 minutes slower--that's really a recovery run so that makes sense. My easy pace is almost always at the very slow end or slower than the McMillan calculator says it should be.

Runners run

SMART Approach

I used to run my easy runs at around this value. I was one of the MAF runners from CoolRunning. A couple months ago I calculated my targets on McMillan Running and, based on a recent MP of 8:36, came up with an easy pace of 9:09 - 9:39 and long run 9:09-10:09. My Heart rate, however, is now in the 80-85% range for these runs depending on the terrain / hills. I also live at altitude. Anyhow, I believe strongly in monitoring my HR for feedback and improvement. My performance has improved and my HR has not changed dramatically. At what point do you truly begin using anaerobic function vs. aerobic? FYI my HRmax is 192 (which is higher than equations predict if that matters).
      80-85% is not anaerobic. This is the pace I run for slower tempos for longer distances or occasionally I may do a long run at 80% if goal race is approaching. The key is that you need to feel recovered for your "work outs". If you don't do faster work outs, then maybe you can get by running most of your runs at a higher HR percentage. I would focus on pace. i.e. run about 2 min per mile slower than your current 5K race pace. Then your should be fine.You should improve even at these paces (HR go down at this pace). You may adjust to it with no negative effects. You may still need some aerobic development. We all do. If I were to run at this intensity each work out it would be a bit much. But I probably have a stronger base?????? Maybe mix in a slower run a couple times per week.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

...---...

Have to agree with the HR monitor for your level Trishie. When I was cycling like a freak and over training, I started training with an HR and it really did help me. Probably will help you too, you speed demon Smile

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

80-85% is not anaerobic. This is the pace I run for slower tempos for longer distances or occasionally I may do a long run at 80% if goal race is approaching. The key is that you need to feel recovered for your "work outs". If you don't do faster work outs, then maybe you can get by running most of your runs at a higher HR percentage. I would focus on pace. i.e. run about 2 min per mile slower than your current 5K race pace. Then your should be fine.You should improve even at these paces (HR go down at this pace). You may adjust to it with no negative effects. You may still need some aerobic development. We all do. If I were to run at this intensity each work out it would be a bit much. But I probably have a stronger base?????? Maybe mix in a slower run a couple times per week.
          I have a pretty good base. I was just curious your thoughts on pace vs. HR based training. I spent about 4 months running in the 70% range before even adding speedwork. I basically mix in speed on all my runs now by running all hills fast (perhaps 30-60 secs of 90-95% HR x 4-6 during each run). I will probably switch it up to get some true tempo and speed work in as I continue to improve paces in race. i need to drop ~5 to 7 lbs and will probably add HIIT as my speedwork to burn off some of the fat. Unfortunately, no matter how much I run, I struggle with weight so that is a concern as well as running performance in general. In the end I will work in more base in the early spring once to build back aerobic base.

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)

SMART Approach

Hoosier, Mix in 30 sec spurts of faster running (not all out but fast). Do this in 2-4 runs per week. One run you may do 10 of them. Another run it may be 4-5. Mix them throughout your run. Maybe a few might be 10 sec. but faster. A couple might be a minute but a tad slower. These spurts will crank thinks up for you a bit wake up the metabolism and your legs. But at same time, with full recovery, these spurts won't take you into the anaerobic area and will help you keep building base. I recommend these a lot with runners I have coached and they like it. Breaks up a run. Effective. Play with it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Thanks - I think that is similar to what I am doing now. I may add in a few more runs/week though. Definitely will help break the monotony. Anything that can help boost my metabolism is welcome in my routine... Big grin

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)