Garmin 310x newbie who's got stupid questions (Read 651 times)

tomatolover

Got a Garmin 310X GPS from santa and, while I've figured out many of the features, I'm still left with some questions:

1. My Garmin keeps TERRIBLE time. Or, should I say, only keeps time when I'm outside exposed to GPS rays.  Is this normal?

2. I've been on the Garmin connect website and looked around at others maps (very cool).  My (perhaps very stupid) question is, can I download others maps onto my gps and, assuming I find the start local of the map creator, run their route?  

3. I'm a "normal" sized woman with normal sized wrists....problem is,when I wear the watch , my wrist gets bruised.  I've taken to wearing cut out ankle portion of a sock under the armband (ala sweat band) to prevent this from happening..have you experienced this?  If so, other than a sock fix, are there other preventative measures?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

3. I'm a "normal" sized woman with normal sized wrists....problem is,when I wear the watch , my wrist gets bruised.  I've taken to wearing cut out ankle portion of a sock under the armband (ala sweat band) to prevent this from happening..have you experienced this?  If so, other than a sock fix, are there other preventative measures?

I'm not sure about the first one...and I have never noticed any issue with the clock/timer portions of my 305.

As for the wrist thing, I found some wonderful thin Reebok wicking wrist bands at Dick's Sporting Goods a while back (I think Reebok makes them exclusively for Dick's, but they appear to have gone on clearance maybe 6 months ago).  I wear one of those under my Garmin...makes for a goofy tan line, but increases comfort and keeps sweat out of the speaker holes.

During the cold months I simply put the Garmin on over my shirt sleeve.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Re, #1 it sounds as though you have your GPS  set to "Auto stop" meaning it stops the watch when you are stopped (or when the watch loses signal.)  Turn that off and it will keep perfect time.

As for #2, I don't have a 310xt but even if I could figure out how to download someone else's map to my 205, trying to navigate with it sounds like it would be as much fun as dental surgery.

I get the occasional wrist bruising too, my solution is to hardly ever run with my garmin.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

You can put another course on your 310 (at least I can on a 405). On the Garmin Connect website once you find a map you like there's a "Send to Device" button at the bottom. That's it.

This is actually quite useful if you travel a lot to unfamiliar cities, and a lot better than trying to read a map. Yes, I have gotten lost and it's no fun, especially in a foreign country.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Best Present Ever

I can't answer the other questions, but agree with Kirsten -- I wear something under the garmin.  I use an old-school 70's era wrist sweat band, or, in cold weather put it over my shirt sleeve or cuff off my glove. I don't know why garmin can't figure out that that is a big problem for women and make a more comfortable watch.  I got big, swollen bruises over the bone after a couple of long runs before I got smart enough to wear something  under it. 

tomatolover

thanks all for the responses.....i'll try to fix the time portion myself with mike's tips and i'm glad i'm not the only one with wrist bruising issues... I'm thrilled that i'll be able to upload other's maps!  i travel enough (and get lost enough even with map while running) to make it a necessary feature, esp. in foreign countries.