Ever done a 4k? (Read 452 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I'll be racing my first 4k this evening. It's out on an island in Boston Harbor. It seems like a funny distance. I guess there isn't another 1k worth of land out there. It's a trail race on a course I've never seen, so I think I'll be wearing shoes. I do like the FiveFingers for trails (very nimble), but not at race speed.
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      I think they should include a 1K swim....just to make it more fun........ Embarrassed

Champions are made when no one is watching

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

That would be awesome. Boston Harbor is actually not that disgusting anymore. Wicked cold though. Smile And I say that as someone who has done scuba diving off Massachusetts.

Hoodoo Guru

Snag a PR!

The tangents are moot.

Half Fanatic #846

It's a trail race on a course I've never seen, so I think I'll be wearing shoes. I do like the FiveFingers for trails (very nimble), but not at race speed.
            Ed - I've seen a couple of 4Ks advertised, but never have raced one. BTW, "Running barefoot" caught my eye. I've started running BF some to strengthen an injured foot and am enjoying it more than I thought I would. And recently ordered a pair of Nike 5.0s. Could you tell me what your Cheap water shoes and Dive Booties are, because I'm going minimalist to transition to more BF running and am interested in that sort of thing. (There's a nice 20K near me on a dirt/grass double track trail that I've got my eye on for next Oct. as a BF race). Good luck on the 4K! Big grin Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

A guy at work just ran a 4k as a benefit for his daughter's CC team. High school girls here run 4k races now. When I ran CC, they ran 3k and guys ran 5k.
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The 4k was a blast. Because it was on the island and there was only one ferry off, everyone had to stick around for the after party, which was actually really nice. And my team finished third overall.
                I've started running BF some to strengthen an injured foot and am enjoying it more than I thought I would. And recently ordered a pair of Nike 5.0s. Could you tell me what your Cheap water shoes and Dive Booties are, because I'm going minimalist to transition to more BF running and am interested in that sort of thing.
                Well the water shoes were something I found in a bin at Sports Authority for something like $8. Stretchy fabric with thin soft rubber soles. By themselves they still weren't really warm enough for the Boston winter, but with seal skinz socks they worked well. The dive booties I actually own for scuba diving. They're thick neoprene, they come up to the ankles, with zippers on the sides, and a plastic sole. I used them in the winter sometimes for warmth. They worked pretty well, though they don't breathe and they get really damp and stinky. Glad you're enjoying the barefooting. It really is fun. Adds another whole dimension to your training.
                JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Sure I have done a 4k! Every 5k I have ever run has started with a 4k! Sorry just had to do it.