Route question (Read 561 times)

skinnycaponesugar

Let's say you are going to run a loop route. Elevation looks like this: Do you go left to right? or right to left?

Love, Run, Sleep

De-slacking in progress

I see it as only a 15 ft rise. Looks worse on a chart than it will be to run, as least based on the hills I run. Go left to right

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

skinnycaponesugar

I see it as only a 15 ft rise. Looks worse on a chart than it will be to run, as least based on the hills I run. Go left to right
        let's say, I'm still on Running 101 Cool...I changed it to metric, but it could still be 15 ft

Love, Run, Sleep

an amazing likeness

I'd vary it. Going right -> left will get the big climb out of the way early, then mainly downhill at the end. If I wasn't feeling really spunky that day, I'd go left -> right to have a slower start and steady climb for the first part. Or, do it out and back and even it all out. Smile

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

From someone who takes hills seriously Wink 1. How was the profile made so you know how accurate it is (there's are pretty small differences to worry about). Actually, I've seen some profiles made from electronic maps that were a bit off in details that resulted in some surprises for me. 2. What is the objective of your run? You might find that going one way provides a better workout for one thing and the other direction works better for something else. I run a very non-symmetrical loop (hill is about 180ft in 1/3 mi the direction I usually run it). I mostly run it one direction because the hill is more continuous that direction and larger. I may run it the other direction for those downhill benefits or because of the way it hooks into other trails or for variety. 3. For a newer runner, I'd probably go right to left since that gives you the smaller hill and relatively flat stuff to warm up on before you get to the larger hill. And even for more advanced runners, that reasoning may still hold. However, they may not need as much warmup and/or they may have warmed up before getting there. Answer #3 may be what you're looking for, but consider both directions (#2). #1 is there to suggest you may not find much hill to worry about. Regardless of which way you go, have fun, stay relaxed, run tall, keep your effort (breathing) constant.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              OK - so the steepest part looks like it is from 115ft to 145 ft. - 30 feet total rise. Is that even a hill? I guess it could be if the distance to cover that 30 ft is short enough. I agree with milk - I would vary the route to keep it interesting.