Runners Across America Suffer Heart Loss (Read 923 times)

As family members regale them with tales of dying marathoners and recollections of the runners' own medical "incidents."

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Queen of 3rd Place

And of course the ever-popular "you'll ruin your knees" and "your uterus will fall out" (my mother actually used that last one on me in the 70s when I started running cross country). 

Ex runner

Whereas I was told it would make my cankles smaller, then discovered it doesn't.  Instead I end up running and still having cankles.  The issue there being that you tend to wear shorts a lot when you run, and now everyone gets to see my cankles.

Not sure if I still have a uterus or heart, but I seem to have knees.  They look like smiley faces.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

vegefrog

And of course the ever-popular "you'll ruin your knees" and "your uterus will fall out"

WOW. I hadn't heard that one! Now I'm terrified that my 6 month training plan full of 9-10 minute miles will not only kill me, but also cause an embarassing mess of a run. My husband keeps telling me  that I will probably sh*t myself on the marathon, but losing my uterus would be even worse!

So many people running without training plans or giving it any thought. My whole FB thread was lit up with turkey trot PR's yesterday and I know some of them hadn't run a step prior to lacing up their shoes. It's really no wonder people are dropping dead, but it is sad.

Six family members at Thanksgiving asked me variants on "How badly do your knees hurt?" Answer was variations on "Not at all--in fact, that lingering pain in my ankle has completely gone away since I started running, too."  Most of them gave me stories about people they've heard of ruining their knees, ankles, hips, whatever while running.

Yes, I counted.  Five of them decided to tell me stories about why they can't run. Most of them warned me about getting hurt and told me that the human body isn't made for that (and silly me is planning to do ultras next year).  

My immediate family is crazy supportive and gets it--Mom and Dad came from out of state for my first marathon.  My extended family is another story...but I only see them a handful of times a year Smile.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek