Cell Phone recommendations...? (Read 1137 times)

zer0vector

Yeah, I don't mind the unlock so much, I'm used to having the autolock always on as I haven't had a flip phone in years and years. On the F3 you just have to hold the * for 2 seconds to unlock.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On the F3 you just have to hold the * for 2 seconds to unlock.
      I had a phone like that that was always locking and unlocking in my purse...and making random speed-dial calls. As a result I have avoided anything without a cover of some sort for the keys. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JSH II

I carry the Verizon EnV on my run's and although it is a little bulky in a back pocket it doesn't bounce too much..I like a camera phone because every once in a while I'll be on a run and see a pretty scenic setting s o I'll stop and snap a pic. My kid on the other hand has a phone made by casio called the Gzone it is water resistant and shock proof she loves it. http://www.mobilewhack.com/images/casio_gzone.jpg
        This is a great phone. It has a nice camera, GPS capabilities (there are even applications that will track your run), a QWERTY keyboard for texting, and very sturdy/durable. It is a little on the "chunky" side. Also, you should be able to get a great deal on it, because the newer version has been released. The official model of this phone is the LG VX9900. The newer version is the LG VX10000, but it has a full touch screen and doesn't appear to be as durable.
          My wife and I both have sony-ericssons and we love them. I have the w810i, she has the newer w580i. They're mp3 capable with a pretty good camera, which we don't really use that much but it's nice to have. The reception is really good from our experiences with the phones. Her phone even has a fitness program on it, counts the number of steps and a few other things. I think it can estimate your speed and distance too.
          I agree i love my sony i've got the 580i and its small and easy to use...plus its sony walkman so the music quality is great! you can load MP3's on it and it has a spot for an extra storage card! i haven't personally used it for running but it does have a fitness program on it! Good luck Wink
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My daughter has the Juke and it is about the coolest phone ever. It would be a great running phone, very small and a 2 gig MP3 player. I'd recommend it highly!
            This is what I ended up with. Verizon had a phone that I was looking at that would have been perfect--it had 3 ICE buttons and a 911 button, but it didn't have any sort of waist-clip and those pleather ones that fit multiple phones are garbage. The Juke was my second choice. It is TINY! I like the sound and it seems to get a better signal than my old phone, even without an external antenna. Verizon had another phone I liked, but it was larger and weighed 5oz (I think about 2x the weight of the Juke). It's designed to be rugged and pretty bomb-proof, but the weight was a deal-breaker.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have the Verizon Wireless G'zOne Type-S It's designed to be dropped... seriously. It's a little bulky, but as sturdy as they come.
              This is the big phone that I was looking at. Love how durable it would be, but it was just too danged big and heavy. That thing on my waist would be flopping around and driving me nuts. Too bad, since the concept is perfect.

~ Sarah Kay

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I use a blackberry 8703 all the time. It is my lifeline, but when running I leave it in my car. NO PHONE. Thousands before me have run without a phone and survived, maybe I will be so lucky. Let go of the device for an hour. Clear your head.

left-right-left-right-repeat

This is what I ended up with. Verizon had a phone that I was looking at that would have been perfect--it had 3 ICE buttons and a 911 button, but it didn't have any sort of waist-clip and those pleather ones that fit multiple phones are garbage. The Juke was my second choice. It is TINY! I like the sound and it seems to get a better signal than my old phone, even without an external antenna. Verizon had another phone I liked, but it was larger and weighed 5oz (I think about 2x the weight of the Juke). It's designed to be rugged and pretty bomb-proof, but the weight was a deal-breaker.
                  If I was concerned about having to make a quick call. I would have got something that is Blue tooth compatible. You see people walking around with it wrapped around an ear. They can be voice activated so you don't have to worry about flipping it open clipping it to your belt for easy access and no hitting of keys..just say "911" and you're connected Smile

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use a blackberry 8703 all the time. It is my lifeline, but when running I leave it in my car. NO PHONE. Thousands before me have run without a phone and survived, maybe I will be so lucky. Let go of the device for an hour. Clear your head.
                    Yeah...well...I live in BFE and am female. Your crackberry may be your "lifeline" when not running, I think of my cell phone as literally my lifeline when I am miles from home and not near any homes or businesses (which is why my first phone choice was the one that had 3 programmable ICE buttons and no camera or music player--just a phone). If I fall and bust something (definitely a risk when I run on unplowed and icy back roads) I don't want to have to drag myself a mile or two to civilization to call for help.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If I was concerned about having to make a quick call. I would have got something that is Blue tooth compatible. You see people walking around with it wrapped around an ear. They can be voice activated so you don't have to worry about flipping it open clipping it to your belt for easy access and no hitting of keys..just say "911" and you're connected Smile
                      Hmmm...I think my new phone has bluetooth for music listening. I won't even be using the music player--but if it can play music using a bluetooth headset, then would it be likely that a bluetooth earpiece would work? Not sure I'd want to spend the additional $$, but that is an interesting point and not something I had thought of. The nice thing with the new phone is that it won't be flapping around on the waist holster, but it also need to be fully removed from the belt clip to be useable, so that would be an extra step if I were heavily incapacitated. k

~ Sarah Kay

Some bluetooth phones allow you to send music to the ear piece, but I don't believe that any Verizon branded phones with let you do this. They lock them down and strip out a lot of the features that Nokia, Samsung, LG, Motrola put in. This of course is so you have to do everything through them and of course pay for stuff. Anyway, that specific feature is called A2DP.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Some bluetooth phones allow you to send music to the ear piece, but I don't believe that any Verizon branded phones with let you do this. They lock them down and strip out a lot of the features that Nokia, Samsung, LG, Motrola put in. This of course is so you have to do everything through them and of course pay for stuff. Anyway, that specific feature is called A2DP.
                          I've noticed this. It's really annoying. I wish there were other carriers up this way that had decent coverage. If I want to download music ringtones I can ONLY do it via Verizon (I think it's about $1/ring tone) and apparently none of the ones they have will work with my specific phone. Not that it matters, but it would be kinda funny to have some cheesy song play every time DH calls.

~ Sarah Kay

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Yeah...well...I live in BFE and am female. Your crackberry may be your "lifeline" when not running, I think of my cell phone as literally my lifeline when I am miles from home and not near any homes or businesses (which is why my first phone choice was the one that had 3 programmable ICE buttons and no camera or music player--just a phone). If I fall and bust something (definitely a risk when I run on unplowed and icy back roads) I don't want to have to drag myself a mile or two to civilization to call for help.
                            Sorry about my comment coming off wrong. I forget that some runners are fortunate enough not to have to run on city 'trails'. And yes my blackberry is an addiction.

left-right-left-right-repeat