What should be my 2nd pair of shoes? (Read 1068 times)

i sacrificed the gift

I rarely see people doing races barefoot without at least a t-shirt evangelizing it. 

Wow. 

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
    Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
    Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
      Don'cha hate pants?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I have about 300 miles on my very first pair of running shoes.  They're Brooks Beast.  Yes, I have wide, flat feet, and need pronation control.  These shoes have been great in terms of avoiding the knee pain I experienced before.  Trouble is, they're uncomfortable and difficult to get laced up just right.  I have to pull the laces killer-tight in the front two holes or my toes get beaten black and blue.  If I lace them tight in the back (ankle) holes, the tendons on the tops of my feet get swollen and irritated.  If they're too loose anywhere, I'm asking for blisters.  And, from the beginning, I never felt the spring in my step that I was hoping for.  All that said, after two or three test walks/jogs around the block, I get them tied in an acceptable way, take off running, and I'm alright for the duration of the run.  It just seems like too much work, and I'm hoping I can do better.  Suggestions?

It looks like you got a wide pair of Brooks Beasts (from the Internet?).  The price was probably lower than other Brooks Beasts available, because these rarer widths - I think - are sometimes hard to sell.  Of course this is all conjecture. 

The fact that you aren't feeling a spring in your step may mean that you are too small for the the Beasts, which are generally for bigger runners.  Again, I can only guess.

I will not ask you about the $800.00 Sun EZ Sport AX's you are rocking.  I once asked a guy about some Velcro kicks he was running in, then Buckeye pointed out that they were from Walmart and all hell broke loose. 

mta: My guess is to recommend a lighter stability shoe for overpronators (rather than a motion-control shoe like the Beasts, which seem to be weighing you down).  Here is a review of some stability shoes:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400--940-1-1-2,00.html

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It looks like you got a wide pair of Brooks Beasts (from the Internet?).  The price was probably lower than other Brooks Beasts available, because these rarer widths - I think - are sometimes hard to sell.  Of course this is all conjecture. 

The fact that you aren't feeling a spring in your step may mean that you are too small for the the Beasts, which are generally for bigger runners.  Again, I can only guess.

I will not ask you about the $800.00 Sun EZ Sport AX's you are rocking.  I once asked a guy about some Velcro kicks he was running in, then Buckeye pointed out that they were from Walmart and all hell broke loose. 

mta: My guess is to recommend a lighter stability shoe for overpronators (rather than a motion-control shoe like the Beasts, which seem to be weighing you down).  Here is a review of some stability shoes:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400--940-1-1-2,00.html

Nope, I got the Brooks at the recommendation of a salesperson at the premiere local running store.  They measured me and watched me walk, then special ordered the shoes.

You should try those $800 AXs  Smile  http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/sun/sun_ez_sport.htm

RunsForCake

barefoot running is so popular now that I'm thinking of wearing a shirt that says "I wear shoes, motherfucker."