Timex Ironman Global Trainer with GPS Technology (Read 2683 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

I would love to see some competition for Garmin, but Timex seems a little late to the party here.  The only real big plus that I see is the battery life.

Rumor has it that years ago Timex and Garmin had a partnership and were collaborating on a GPS enabled watch.  Then Garmin released the Forerunner and knocked them out of the market.

Kinda similar to what Microsoft did to IBM with OS/2 and Windows 95(for those geeky enough and old enough to remember that)

http://xkcd.com/621/

Rumor has it that years ago Timex and Garmin had a partnership and were collaborating on a GPS enabled watch.  Then Garmin released the Forerunner and knocked them out of the market.

Kinda similar to what Microsoft did to IBM with OS/2 and Windows 95(for those geeky enough and old enough to remember that)

Interesting....More intrigue in Geekdom!

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

xor

Well, I know that my original Timex GPS (a big honking bicep strap on that talked to the watch unit) had garmin guts inside.  It was not very accurate AND it didn't allow firmware updates.

jeffdonahue

Well, I know that my original Timex GPS (a big honking bicep strap on that talked to the watch unit) had garmin guts inside.  It was not very accurate AND it didn't allow firmware updates.

I had one of those too.  I also lost the signal every time I went under a tree, and it took about 3 minutes to find a signal in the first place.  I didnt keep it very long.

Feeling the growl again

I have been wearing Timex Ironman watches for probably 20 years.  I also owned the 2-piece original Timex GPS running unit.  While I like the functionality of the Ironman watches I hate the lack of Timex quality.  Once the watch batteries go dead, you might as well throw them away because whether you replace the battery yourself or have it done professionally the integrity of the unit is shot and the next time you sweat the watch will fail.  Had this happen 6-8 times.  My 2-piece GPS product died in under a year and a half.

I replaced it with a Garmin 201.  I bought it not long after they came out, it must be close to 5 years old and has logged 7,000+ miles on the odometer.  It's locked up a couple times but responded to reset.  Within the past year I can get some water under the screen in a heavy rain but it dries out.  Through it all, it has kept on plugging away reliably and holds a 10+ hr charge still.

Timex Ironmans have their place, I wear one in races and take it places I don't need GPS.  But if I want to run with GPS, it sure as heck won't be a Timex product.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Love my Garmin for GPS, but I've always been a fan of Timex Triathlons for non-GPS running eatches. I remember getting my first one over 25 years ago and being wowed by the fact that it could record 8 laps.  They're pretty rugged, but I've found that slamming them into the concrete after a disappointing 5k is more than enough to kill one.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Imminent Catastrophe

Love my Garmin for GPS, but I've always been a fan of Timex Triathlons for non-GPS running eatches. I remember getting my first one over 25 years ago and being wowed by the fact that it could record 8 laps.  They're pretty rugged, but I've found that slamming them into the concrete after a disappointing 5k is more than enough to kill one.

That will teach you to run those short races.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016