Timex Ironman Global Trainer with GPS Technology (Read 2683 times)

GWTdsmia

Looking forward to getting this.  http://www.timexironman.com/Products/Global_Trainer_GPS.htm watch.

New GPS-enabled, Timex Ironman Global Trainer Bodylink Watch

Timex, the leader in outdoor and sports performance watches has unveiled the new Timex Ironman Global Trainer Bodylink System, a GPS-enabled competitive training watch designed for passionate athletes worldwide. The new all-in-one wrist device is Timex's latest innovation designed for today's modern athletes across all levels.

The integrated GPS feature on the new Ironman branded Global Trainer system precisely calculates speed, pace and distance while measuring location and altitude with ascent/descent distances and rates. The durable watch is designed specifically for strenuous multisport use, boasting a 15-hour rechargeable battery and is water resistance to 50 meters. It has a customizable display that provides up to four performance metrics simultaneously, letting you conveniently monitor a wealth of data during workouts. The product also includes a hands-free option that automatically starts and stops data capture, as well as a multisport event mode to track and record activity-specific data, including transitions, in a user-defined sequence.

Product Features
    • SiRFstarIII-powered GPS technology requires no calibration
    • Calculates precise speed, pace and distance in real time
    • Measures location and altitude with ascent/descent distances and rates
    • Recalls up to 50 custom routes for pace tracking
    • Customizable four-window data display provides critical data at-a-glance
    • Water-resistant up to 50 meters
    • Rechargeable battery lasts 15 hours in GPS
    • 20-workout memory with dated summaries for up to 1,000 laps
    • Performance mode features chronograph, interval and countdown timers
    • Records elapsed time, calories burned and workout data for each lap
    • Performance pacer function helps the user meet finish-time goals
    • Hands-free option automatically starts and stops data capture functions
    • Multisport event mode records activities and transitions in one sequence
    • Performance and GPS data wirelessly sync with software powered by TrainingPeaks
    • Compatible with Timex heart rate and bike sensors using ANT+
    • Compatible with third-party bike power sensors using ANT+
    • INDIGLO Night-Light with Night-Mode feature

The Global Trainer Bodylink System is compatible with Timex heart rate and bike speed/cadence sensors, and it can display data from third-party bike power meters using ANT+ technology.

The new Timex Ironman Global Trainer Bodylink System will be available for purchase later this year (September of 2010) at sports specialty retailers and on www.timexironman.com. It will be priced from $249.95 to $299.95.

"The Timex Ironman Global Trainer Bodylink System is the ultimate training tool for elite athletes, and the only GPS-enabled watch worthy of the Timex Ironman name," said Heberto Calves, Vice President of Marketing at Timex. "It is technologically advanced for modern athletes, but does not sacrifice the reliability, ease-of-use and affordability the market has come to expect from Timex."

Giant Flaming Dork

Not to feed the shill, but it's nice to see Timex move away from the "Lego" type of arrangement that they went with for so long.  Timex is a local company and I know some of the people that develop these products.  I'd like to see them succeed.

I'm surprised that they could get a license for ANT, considering it's owned by Garmin.

http://xkcd.com/621/

she runs like a girl

love it! I have never used a GPS watch but that one seems cool and not huge.

I think my chicken bone wrist could support that.

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

Giant Flaming Dork

love it! I have never used a GPS watch but that one seems cool and not huge.

I think my chicken bone wrist could support that.

Probably, but it does look huge on that woman's wrist.  Looking at the marketing materials for it, it looks like they really concentrated on the triathlon market.  Although it looks like it would do really well for running, too.

Looks like it'll be on sale in June at REI and then everywhere in the fall.

http://xkcd.com/621/

she runs like a girl

Actually, it is huge.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30672077&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=101416801784&aid=-1&id=1102696551

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30672078&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=101416801784&aid=-1&id=1102696551

hmm, the advertisement is decieving. That's one of the reasons I would never own a gps watch. A normal watch irritates me enough as it is - and I wear a regular women's timex watch

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

Actually, it is huge.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30672077&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=101416801784&aid=-1&id=1102696551

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30672078&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=101416801784&aid=-1&id=1102696551

Probably will want to rotate it from the left arm to the right arm routinely so you don't end up with an Olive Oyl left arm and a Popeye right arm.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

GWTdsmia

Thats pretty funny. Not sure about you guys but we've all had one if not several IronMan watches. I've gone through three of them. I'm glad to see Timex get with the GPS generation. I'm glad to see the watch has some size to it so I can SEE the damn thing when I'm running. (Kind of hard to put my glasses on when I'm running)

Probably will want to rotate it from the left arm to the right arm routinely so you don't end up with an Olive Oyl left arm and a Popeye right arm.

keeponrunning

Does GPS on a watch work off-road?  That may be a dumb question, but I've made a fool of myself before, and I'll do it again.   Also, anybody know the price?  I've looked at Garmins, then decided that my regular Timex will have to suffice til I'm richer...

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

an amazing likeness

Does GPS on a watch work off-road? 

Yes.  All of the fitness GPS (Garmin, Polar, Timex, etc) work the same in principle:  they simply record the position where you at a point in time.  Software then takes that data a knits together the distance and track covered.  The GPS recording device has no idea whether you on on road, trail, sand, dirt, gravel, or whatever, it just records where you are "on earth".

mta:  Someone will jump in and point of that data recording under tree canopies can be a problem...so that does impact usability off-road.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I would love to see some competition for Garmin, but Timex seems a little late to the party here.  The only real big plus that I see is the battery life.

The Forerunner 205 and 305 are mature products with the same GPS chip (surfstar III) as this Timex watch.   So, you can buy a 205 or 305 for $130 or $150 respectively.  The new Timex is $250 to $300.

Not only that, Garmin is launching a new product (forerunner 110) with the new sirfstar IV GPS chip.

If my 205 died today, why would I buy this watch instead of another 205 or 305?  Or wait for the Forerunner 110 ($200-250) and get the new chip?

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

I would love to see some competition for Garmin, but Timex seems a little late to the party here.  The only real big plus that I see is the battery life.

The Forerunner 205 and 305 are mature products with the same GPS chip (surfstar III) as this Timex watch.   So, you can buy a 205 or 305 for $130 or $150 respectively.  The new Timex is $250 to $300.

Not only that, Garmin is launching a new product (forerunner 110) with the new sirfstar IV GPS chip.

If my 205 died today, why would I buy this watch instead of another 205 or 305?  Or wait for the Forerunner 110 ($200-250) and get the new chip?

The Garmin 310 XT has a battery life of up to 20 hours if the extended battery life is a concern over the 305's typical 10 hours.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

she runs like a girl

Here's a question for all you Garmin people:

What is the smallet one you can buy? I'd love to have one but I hate the thought of wearing something the size of a toaster oven on my wrist

What is the smallet one you can buy? I'd love to have one but I hate the thought of wearing something the size of a toaster oven on my wrist

I think most people find that "the giant" GPS watch doesn't look/feel so big after they've worn it for awhile. It may be helpful to see if a friend of yours that has one will let you borrow it for a run. I've loaned mine to several friends who felt the same as you, but ended up buying the 205/305 after running with it once or twice.

I think ease of use and affordability are more important factors in the decision process.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

HI Kimmi,

To add to what Bonkin said:

- Garmins most recent "big" watches are Forerunner 205, 305, and 310xt

- Garmins "smaller" watches are the Forerunner 405 (and the upcoming 110)

I have the 205 (since around 2006) and 2 of my friends have the 305.  They are big, but having the big screen is not necessarily bad as you can read it easier.  The weight of the watch is not noticable after you start running.  The real question, IMHO, is how it fits your wrist.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!