If you carry a water bottle, I have a few questions! (Read 2083 times)

WARNING: I have bought THREE of the big amphipod bottles... not the belt kind, I mean the big 20z handheld kind.  The lids on ALL THREE of them got screwed up within 2-3 uses.  The threads get hosed and then the bottles leak.  This is not an exaggeration.  2-3 uses and kaput.  Three different bottles, and they aint cheap.  I will never buy another one.

The same thing happens with the amphipod bottles I use.   I have the belt, so it creates the annoying sensation of fluid leaking down the back of my leg.  I think im going to go handheld.  Two little handweights that get progressively lighter as I go along my way doesnt sound so bad. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

...---...

My Fuel Belt hand held has been a rock for a year now. No leakage from the same bottle. For trail runs, I just picked up a Nathan waist hydration pack with the stretchy waist strap (bottle is cradled at an angle in the small of the back). Nothing beats my Camelbak for long distance, however.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I use Ultimate Direction handhelds, which are very similar to the Nathans.  I drink on the run... it splashes way less than a cup!  However, if you choose to stop and drink, dont worry about it.

You get used to the sloshing quickly.

I switch hands sometimes, especially on ultra-length runs.  For a typical 45-90 minute run, it usually stays in my right hand.

WARNING: I have bought THREE of the big amphipod bottles... not the belt kind, I mean the big 20z handheld kind.  The lids on ALL THREE of them got screwed up within 2-3 uses.  The threads get hosed and then the bottles leak.  This is not an exaggeration.  2-3 uses and kaput.  Three different bottles, and they aint cheap.  I will never buy another one.

I just checked out the Ultimate Direction handheld to replace Amphipod.  Looks like it hold's 20oz.  Is that all you go with for ultra-length runs, or do you stop and refill at convenience stores?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

sloshing doesn't bug me... nor does the contant sound of the feet hitting the pavement... now SUV drivers trying to use me for target practice....

I carry my water bottle.  nathan hand held... 20 oz

I do switch but like someone else I can carry it in my left hand for ages... but sometimes switch to my right when after 5 minutes I unconciously switch back...

my trick to avoid choking... while running and drinking is... to take a few deep breatch though the nose.... then take a big swig ... hold it in my mouth... STOP BREATHING.... then swallow...

the two tricks are to squirt into the mouth while breathing through the nose... and then to stop breathing when you go to swallow... sounds like I am being silly but it is suprisingly easy to mess up... and choking on gatorade after running for a while just stinks...

I also stash refills along my route...

xor

BTW, my best friend showed up at the race we did on Saturday with an amphipod bottle in her bag.

It leaked and soaked all her after-race clothes.

I can't believe that they get away with selling this crap.