If you carry a water bottle, I have a few questions! (Read 2083 times)

Baby bean!

With the heat (or shall I re-phrase it and say increase in temperature!), I'm finding my mouth getting really dry during my runs.  I want to get a little hand held nathan (no belt!) or something of the sort, but I was wondering...

1-Do you drink and run or do you stop and walk to get a sip in?

2-Does the sloshing sound annoy you?

3-Do you switch hands when you run?

I know, stupid questions.

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

VandyMontana

With the heat (or shall I re-phrase it and say increase in temperature!), I'm finding my mouth getting really dry during my runs.  I want to get a little hand held nathan (no belt!) or something of the sort, but I was wondering...

I just got the Nathan handheld.

1...mostly drink and run.  Very easy.  No spillage.

2...No.

3.  Yes.  it's nice to distribute the weight evenly.  

http://running-with-wine.blogspot.com/
      xor

I use Ultimate Direction handhelds, which are very similar to the Nathans.  I drink on the run... it splashes way less than a cup!  However, if you choose to stop and drink, dont worry about it.

You get used to the sloshing quickly.

I switch hands sometimes, especially on ultra-length runs.  For a typical 45-90 minute run, it usually stays in my right hand.

WARNING: I have bought THREE of the big amphipod bottles... not the belt kind, I mean the big 20z handheld kind.  The lids on ALL THREE of them got screwed up within 2-3 uses.  The threads get hosed and then the bottles leak.  This is not an exaggeration.  2-3 uses and kaput.  Three different bottles, and they aint cheap.  I will never buy another one.

Jill_B

I fly.

1.  Both, but mostly I drink while I'm running.

2.  Oh yes, but not as much as not having the water when I need it.

3.  Constantly.

Bring it on.

assuming I'm able to run...

1. carry a hand held (Nathan or RRS)

2. only if I'm running with someone and I think it might be annoying to them.  Sometimes I get bored and try to see how long I can keep it quiet...

3. I carry in my left hand without thinking.  I try the right but can't even go .25 miles with it before I need to switch back.

I used to wear a belt but I hated all of the tiny containers, and it rubbed me raw in a number of places.

I hate camel packs but I use one for ultras because I'm too chicken to commit to hand helds...also, they are easier for storing between-aid station/ what if I get lost?-snacks.

Jennifer mm#1231

For shorter runs I just carry a bottle and for longer runs I wear a Nathan bottle belt.  I drink and run which is no big deal.  The sloshing is a bit bothersome and I find myself emptying my bottle more quickly when holding it to simply alleviate the annoyance of the sloshing and the weight.  It's not the sloshing sound, but the movement of the water which bothers me.  The bottle belt is rather nice, but takes some getting used to.

Imminent Catastrophe

I sometimes carry a 20 or 24-oz hand bottle, but only on trail runs. You quickly get used to it and forget that it's there, except when you drink from it. Also, as I learned more than once today, it's nice to have one of those to take the impact when you trip over a rock or root.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

anneb

I have the small (12oz) amphipod bottle. I am running in a metro area and it is not lack of places to get water, but the fact that when it is hot I rather just have it to sip instead of stopping all the time. I have had it only this spring/summer so I can't say how long it's going to last - but so far it is doing better than SrL's bottles! So...

1. on the run

2. a little, but oh well

3. almost always in right, usually try to put in left to shake out other hand but can't do that side for long

Oh and this is all back when I actually ran.

Anne

I don't generally run with any water, but sometimes lately when it's 95ish outside, I will take a credit card and stop and get a gatorade during my run. If I carry something with me it's too warm by the time I need to drink it. I have to agree, the noise of the bottle sloshing doesn't bother me but the feel of it sometimes drives me crazy. I also tend to drink faster just to empty it and get rid of it. I find myself trying to hold it different ways to stop the sloshing which is very distracting. I supposed I'd get used to it if I carried my handheld water bottle all the time, but I just never have.

MTA: forgot to actually answer your other questions - yes, drinking on the run is very easy as long as you have a squirt bottle...the few times i've used an open mouth bottle there tended to be alot of choking and spilling. The switching hands is slightly annoying - I try to carry in both equally but it generally ends up in my right hand most of the time. 

I love my Nathan handheld.  I use it for any run over an hour, sometimes in addtion to my pack on really long self-supported runs.

1- I mostly drink on the run I'd say.  I do have to take small sips or I start coughing.

2- I don't notice any sloshing with the handheld at all.

3- On really hilly routes where I'm using my arms more, I find myself switching hands a lot.  I sometimes switch when my Garmin chimes on mile splits.  I don't notice that I like one hand more than the other.

1-Mostly drink and run, but if I stop for some reason I usually drink too. Smile

2-I thought it would but it doesn't at all.

3-I try to, but I tend to favor the left hand.

I have a Nathan and an Ultimate Direction and love them both.

~Sara
                        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

I've had the insulated version (very washable) of the Nathan bottle for over 5 years - well worth it.  I did NOT want to carry a bottle, but the increase in mileage and the heat in my area forced me into it.  I just ran a marathon carrying the handheld the whole way - a first, since I've only used an Ultimate Direction backpack/bladder for marathons and 50ks in the past.  Answers to your questions:

1.  Usually drink when I'm walking up a hill.

2. No

3. Usually not - like on the marathon only did for maybe 1 mile total

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

1. Usually drink on the move.

2. No... I've never really noticed it.

3. Same hand usually (left) unless I have two bottles. Flashlight is always in the right hand... I can't seem to aim it right in the left... I keep holding it upright like a bottle. :-)

I have 1 Nathan, 2 UD, and 5-6 GoLite bottle holders... all work great.  I think the UD ones are my favorite though.

ymmv

WARNING: I have bought THREE of the big amphipod bottles... not the belt kind, I mean the big 20z handheld kind.  The lids on ALL THREE of them got screwed up within 2-3 uses.  The threads get hosed and then the bottles leak.  This is not an exaggeration.  2-3 uses and kaput.  Three different bottles, and they aint cheap.  I will never buy another one.

I have an amphipod bottle and belt that fits in the small of my back. I think the bottle lid leaked a little from day one.

I thought it was their special feature for evaporative butt cooling.

On the hottest of days, I will occassionally carry a water bottle.....I fill it about 2/3rds and freeze it..then put in a little water before the run....that way I have cold water for a while......

I usually drink and run....unless its a very long run at which I will take 1 minute walk breaks and drink then....if its 5 miles or less then I dont usually take walk breaks and drink and run

I dont drink so much at a time that it sloshes........on the rare occassion that I do - it annoys me---

YES - I usually switch hands -- usually because the ice (remember i freeze it) makes my hand cold...so I switch back and forth...

TO qualify - I only carry water on the very hottest of days and normally only if I am running  5 miles or more.........on a run shorter, I usually just run past my house and stop for a minute...

Champions are made when no one is watching