Tapering for Dummies (Read 786 times)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Hi guys

I am now less than 4 weeks out from my first marathon.  Has anyone got any advice/ principals for the lead up weeks?

All seems to be a balance between freshening up and keeping conditioning and fitness.  I am just trying to find that balance.  Any Advice appreciated!!

I am going to write a race plan to get me to 3:40 God willing

Smile

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

uncontrollable

Tapering is for sissies

peace

1)Consult your training schedule that you planned out months ago for the appropriate mileage during taper 

2)Don't taper 4 weeks out.

3) Don't run any races longer than 13 miles less than 3 weeks out

4) If you never had a training schedule, start taper 2-3 weeks out, taking 15-20% off your maximum mileage the first week, 30-40% the second week and run between 15-30 miles the marathon week (excluding the marathon).

Most marathon training schedules have a taper starting about 3 weeks out. The long runs start coming down in length from then, and the total weekly mileage reduces. I think it's a bit personal what works for you. I don't really like doing very much running in the 3 or 4 days before a marathon - but some training plans have a fair bit of running in that last week.

mikeymike

Tapering does not help everyone equally.  The more you are running, the more it will help and the less you are running, the less it will help.  My rule of thumb is you don't want your training to drop too much below an hour a day average before a long distance race.  So if you're running a lot more than 1 hour a day average, you can taper quite a bit.  If you're running at or below an hour a day average, you probably don't want to taper too much at all except for the last few days before the race.

Runners run

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Thanks Guys I appreciate the thoughts.  I know you can't just subscribe a plan but principles are a help..this is how I have put together my training so far....slightly loose with weekly km targets and a long run plan for weekends.  I found the 30km one weekend followed by 20km the next and repeat that cycle very good

The programme I put together for the last 2 months to be honest was a bit harsh and hopeful.  I am not a natural runner and the last 4 months have been hard work and single minded attitude.  Motivation is no issue but  I havent managed to get to 100km a week which I know will be looked down upon by some.  I have had the odd bad week and one injury last week (which is now nearly healed 100%).  But at least I have been pretty consistant

Context though. This is my first Marathon and I am not looking to break 2 hours just do what I think i am capable of which is around 3:40

I have some around me (even club runners) talking already about tapering but I dont think I subscribe to that.  I do have 36km on the programme for this weekend but the body is starting to say 'enough' so it is finding that balance which is somewhere between my programme and starting to taper now.

I am thinking a lot of slow 10km runs during the week (4-5 which ticks off <> the hour long runs mikeymike suggests) and then one longer run but perhaps now 25-30 this Sunday - 3 weeks out (gives me 6 days to recover form last weekends 32km), and 20-25km 2 weeks out then twin 12-15kms the weekend before the event which ticks off point 3 by flatfooter.

Among that a lot of 10km runs and just take the odd day off here and there if legs are tired then perhaps 2 days off on the last week and cut the 10kms down to 5-7kms.

I am not putting in any fast runs now. I strained my abs last week doing a 21 minute 5km so am not gonna risk flaring them up. My marathon time will be achieved slow and steady. Id rather leave the speed conditioning behind than risk injuring in training again

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

xor

>> This is my first Marathon and I am not looking to break 2 hours

What if we said "we're all counting on you"?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am going to write a race plan to get me to 3:40 God willing

Smile

3:40 looks doable. 32K @ 8:09. MP 3:40 / 8:24. 1:51:00 /1:49:00 splits.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

yes my 32km was on a flat course whereas the marathon first 16km odd is quite hilly but if I have a good day and the weather is kind i think 3:40 is possible

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals: