Do I want to do a HM? (Read 1112 times)

You should do it! When I ran my first HM, I had no idea I'd be running 13.1 miles until about a week prior. I was confused (typical of me) since I entered as a relay team and thought I'd be running a portion of the miles. I wasn't a distance runner and hadn't run more than 9 miles prior to race day. I ran the HM, and I had a great time. My legs were very very very sore the next few days but it was all worth it!!

Michelle

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You should do it! When I ran my first HM, I had no idea I'd be running 13.1 miles until about a week prior. I was confused (typical of me) since I entered as a relay team and thought I'd be running a portion of the miles. I wasn't a distance runner and hadn't run more than 9 miles prior to race day. I ran the HM, and I had a great time. My legs were very very very sore the next few days but it was all worth it!!
      That is so funny! Wow, I'm impressed you went ahead with it, Michelle. I would have freaked out.
        That is so funny! Wow, I'm impressed you went ahead with it, Michelle. I would have freaked out.
        There's a thread here somewhere about that. I wanted to back out but my friend got me added to the team at the last minute and I didn't want to make her look bad. In fact, the most I had done before a week before the race was 6 miles, that weekend before the race I went out and did 9 miles. After the race I was able to laugh about my stupidity - but to me a relay team SPLITS the total distance - ugh. Lesson learned. Big grin

Michelle

Hey, nice marmot!

After the race I was able to laugh about my stupidity - but to me a relay team SPLITS the total distance - ugh. Lesson learned. Big grin
          You're not stupid and, in my opinion, would have totally been in the right to call bullshit on your friend. Being a member of a relay team would imply that you'd be competing in a relay race. From answer.com, a relay race is defined as: A race between two or more teams, in which each team member participates in only a set part of the race and is then relieved by another member of the team. My $0.02

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

I just found this site and it is pretty cool. Thanks for putting all of this together Eric!
              You're not stupid and, in my opinion, would have totally been in the right to call bullshit on your friend. Being a member of a relay team would imply that you'd be competing in a relay race. From answer.com, a relay race is defined as: A race between two or more teams, in which each team member participates in only a set part of the race and is then relieved by another member of the team. My $0.02
              In my friend's defense, she didn't lead me on. I assumed - and didn't ask until a week prior when I asked what the distance was for my leg of the race. Blush But now I know. Big grin

Michelle

Man in Tights

You'll know for sure when you believe your're ready for it. No one else can decide that for you. I think the HM is a great run and urge everyone to go for it. But you don't have to rush into it. Sometimes when we up the mileage steeply we end up with injury. Get those miles in. Once you're comforable doing the 10 milers you'll know the answer. All the best