Race Bandits (Read 1312 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

But on a more serious note, Dr Julia Chase-Brown will soon celebrate the anniversary of her race banditry in Connecticut fifty years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/sports/julia-chase-brand-a-leading-pioneer-in-womens-running.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

... and maybe I'm putting a regional spin to this discussion .... 

All the races in our area are put on by charity type organizations (YMCA, Boys and Girls clubs, Jaycees, Lions etc. ...) in my opinion to take advantage of the race is taking away from their efforts to keep their programs going ... 

If there is a race going thru your park / neighborhood ... let the gun go off ... give it a couple minutes and enjoy your run.  

Don't line up, take off with the group, experience the competition, visit the water stations and post-race festivities without contributing to the group putting on the event. 

... that's all I'm saying.

Tim 

I agree with TJN. I live next to a park that I use for a regular run almost every Saturday morning. But come September unless I run all the races (and there is one almost every Saturday and Sunday mornings), I have to find an alternate route. It's not a huge deal, it just disrupts my habit.

So today there was a race on the same route so I jogged over, cheered them off at the start, went for a short run away from the start line, came back, clapped, woo-hoo'd and cheered them on as they came back in, then as the last ones were coming in, I took off on my regular route. Spent more time out than usual, but it was good to experience the race vibe and help out a bit with the cheering.  Didn't drink any water or take any snacks, nor did I go through the finish line. Talked to some of the vendors, though. By the time I got on the paths there were lots of other "regulars" on there too since it's such a nice day.

MTA: fix stupid iPad autocorrections

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I live next to a park that I use for a regular run almost every Saturday morning. But come September unless I run all the races (and there is one almost every Saturday and Sunday mornings), I have to find an alternate route. It's not a huge deal, it just disrupts my habit.

I have the same situation in my area. I sometimes just run with the racers if part of the race route overlaps with my regular running route, but I don't use their water stops and I stay clear of the finish line area -- just sharing the road. What I have found annoying is for the last 4 weekends there have been charity walks in the park where I like to run. On a typical non-event Sunday morning I share the paths with runners, walkers, cyclists, and skaters without any problem. But during the charity walks, the paths are completely filled with walkers who are oblivious to the possibility that other people in the community might be using the park, too. It is difficult to even walk in the opposite direction, much less run. Since they are walking and there does not seem to be a clear start time, the paths are filled for a couple of hours or more, so waiting until they are done is not an option. I support the idea behind the walks, I just wish that the organizers would make it  clear to the participants that they are sharing the community space. I know I sound like a Grinch, but after encountering this three weekends in a row, I needed to vent.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Last week on my usual route, I unknowingly stumbled on a walk for (against) cancer with 6000 people going the opposite direction from me.  I wasn't so much annoyed by them as feeling out of place.  If it were to happen frequently, I guess I would have to change my route.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

They were for cancer and you were against? Or vice-versa?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's too confusing.

Last week on my usual route, I unknowingly stumbled on a walk for (against) cancer with 6000 people going the opposite direction from me.  I wasn't so much annoyed by them as feeling out of place.  If it were to happen frequently, I guess I would have to change my route.

Should've pretended you were spawning.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

They were for cancer and you were against? Or vice-versa?

In the same vein Flight of the Conchords

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

JimR

I bandited about 400 meters of race in my park yesterday, it was the only way to get under the roadway to the other section of the park.  I was supposed to continue up through the park but with the race in progress, and it seems I came on it right at the mid-pack peak, I opted to detour away and get some light trail in instead.  That was fine as I had a trail race this morning so I used it just to sharpen up a bit.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Should've pretended you were spawning.

They arrest people for that around here.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In the same vein Flight of the Conchords

I don't know what that was from, but that was funny.

xor

Flight of the Conchords is a two-guy band from New Zealand.  They had a two-season show on HBO.  Definitely worth netflixing.  Very funny stuff.  Lots of great song clips on youtube.