HELP Heel Pain--What is it? (Read 876 times)

ss13

I am novice runner and am training to run my first marathon. On my last long run (Sunday, 7 miles) I felt a pain in my left heel that was like shooting needles for about 10 seconds at the beginning of my run, then it went away and didn't resurface...until this morning on a short run (3 miles). Once again, it lasted no more than 10 seconds then went away.

What could this be and please, oh please, don't tell me I need to take a break from running. My training schedule really doesn't allow for that. I don't think I'm taking things too hard. I used the Couch to 5k program to work up to 3 miles then started the marathon program. I've only increased my weekly mileage by 1 mile per week thus far so I think I'm being pretty conservative.

And just in case it matters, I wear New Balance 769 running shoes. These are the ones:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NBW1579/

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Menace to Sobriety

If its only lasting 10 seconds and goes away completely, I doubt seriously if its anything major, but I'm no doctor. Maybe some kind of pinched nerve issue? Shooting needle sensations seem to suggest that. Is it always at the beginning of the run, then go away? Maybe try warming up a little differently. I'd just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

chabbie699

Hi there,

I have been suffering with similar symptons and a friend told me could be a case of plantar fasciitis ??

Is very common

L Train

Seriously doubt it's PF, and doubt you need to stop running (as long as it doesn't get worse).  I have no idea, but maybe try tying your shoes looser?

mikeymike

It actually does sound like mild PF to me.  For prevention, stretch your calf muscles often and make sure to warm up well--start all your runs with a short walk into a very slow jog and then gradually pick up the pace to your normal easy pace.  There's no reason to stop running though.

Runners run

It *might* be PF.  If it is, and you take a few days to a week off right  now you might nip it in the bud so that it dosn't come back. However if you keep running till you can confirm what it is, and it is PF you might suffer with it for months.  I would also right now learn all the stretches for PF.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
              Kenotic Runner

It *might* be PF.  If it is, and you take a few days to a week off right  now you might nip it in the bud so that it dosn't come back. However if you keep running till you can confirm what it is, and it is PF you might suffer with it for months.  I would also right now learn all the stretches for PF.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

As someone who has dealth with severe PF I agree completely.

Loosen the laces maybe.  Perhaps learn some alternative lacing.  And do the PF prevention stretches. 

ss13

As someone who has dealth with severe PF I agree completely.

Loosen the laces maybe.  Perhaps learn some alternative lacing.  And do the PF prevention stretches. 

Where would I find alternative lacing? I don't know if that's part of the problem but it's worth a try...

Also, I've been doing some stretches but does anybody recommend night splints?

I took 2 days off and run only 3 miles this morning. I had the pain again in my left heel for a short time as soon as I started to run. I also felt a slight twinge in the arch of my right foot. I did start off pretty slow and the pain was less than before but still there.

Where would I find alternative lacing? I don't know if that's part of the problem but it's worth a try...

Also, I've been doing some stretches but does anybody recommend night splints?

I took 2 days off and run only 3 miles this morning. I had the pain again in my left heel for a short time as soon as I started to run. I also felt a slight twinge in the arch of my right foot. I did start off pretty slow and the pain was less than before but still there.

On the night splints...  are you real stiff/sore in the morning? That would be my judge on whether or not to wear night splents.

ss13

On the night splints...  are you real stiff/sore in the morning? That would be my judge on whether or not to wear night splents.

No stiffness/soreness in the morning. Actually, I feel fine in the morning and I always do a warm-up walk before I run and never feel any pain durin g that time either. It only hurts in the first 10-20 seconds of actual running. I'm hoping this means that I'm catching it early and can avoid major issues if I work at treating it now.

I would also consider trying on some different shoes.  Go to your local running shop and see what kind of options are available to you.