Best / Worst concerts you've attended (Read 1390 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Just wondering what yours are, and the stories behind them...Here's my faves and least faves Best/favorite 1. Paul McCartney, Sacramento 2005. Electrifying. 20-somethings ~ 70 somethings were shrieking like 14-year old girls when he launched into "Please Please Me." Only person alive who can have his band leave the stage in the middle of the show, get out his acoustic guitar, and keep everyone's butt in their seats holding their breath and wondering what he's gonna play next. 2. Pink Floyd, Oakland 1994. The only thing more memorable than the flying pig and Dave Gilmour's guitar pyrotechnics was the gargantuan traffic jam on the way there. And the empty Gatorade bottle that became my salvation during said traffic jam. 3. Rolling Stones, Oakland 1994. Lucked our way into 2nd row seats. Did you know that Mick has really pretty baby blues? Me neither. Did you know that Keith looks like a shriveled freak? Me too. 4. Steve Howe, Sacramento 1994. Former Yes/Asia guitarist in a solo show at a real small club. The audience gave him a lot of love, and he returned the favor by coming out after the house lights came up and launched into an impromptu (and from the sounds of it, unplanned/unrehearsed) version of "Heat of the Moment." 5. Brian Setzer Orchestra, Sacramento 1999. The world's most tattooed big band leader rocked this town inside out. See them if you get a chance. 6. Pearl Jam, Sacramento 1995. My one and only experience with crowd-surfing, which went pretty well until I surfed to the edge of the crowd, over a small fence, and face-first into an aisle between sections. Least Favorite Late entry -- can't believe I forgot this one: 1.Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, Sacramento 1995. Zep is probably my favorite band after The Beatles. Page and Plant rocked hard and played all the favorites. Well, almost all of them. We kept clapping and cheering, holding our lighters aloft. We waited. We hoped. And then the house lights came up. They didn't play "Stairway to Heaven." So Jimmy and Robert, this bird's for you: 12. Screaming Trees / Soul Asylum / Spin Doctors, Sacramento 1994. Between the three bands, only about 2~3 songs I cared about. I should've stayed in the parking lot and continued shotgunning beers until they played "Two Princes." 23. Steve Miller / Mountain View 1994. I like him, they played well, but way too much self-indulgent guitar noodling to suit me, and this is coming from someone plays guitar a little, and whose dad plays guitar a lot. Be like George Harrison -- play something nice/memorable for eight bars, and then get back to the song already. 34. Yes / Pine Knob 1992. This is the time where everyone who was ever in the band went on tour. They're talented, and they played well, but the boredom on the face of the aforementioned Steve Howe during the songs that weren't his said it all. Future -- do I have a new favorite coming up? Seeing Lynard Skynard / Hank Williams Jr (with special guest 38 special) this month. Skynard and Bosephus in Alabama. Might be fun, esp if the wifey and I can get someone to drive for us. Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I saw Stryper. Gah, no wonder I avoid organized religion nowadays... Tongue Best concert--"Domestic Problems" at the State Theater in Kzoo. Hubby and I were at the live show they recorded there and can pick outselves out of a crowd photo in the CD jacket. Also went to a show whilst 5 mos. preggers--my son danced through the entire concert and still loves their music. Tie for best: Elton John/Billy Joel "Face to Face" tour at the Silverdome. Last row seats, but the sound was amazing. Best 4 hours of music ever. Also saw Madonna back in the late 80s..."Who's That Girl" tour. She puts on a good show. Rollins Band in a little club in Grand Rapids was also pretty cool.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Faith Hill & Tim McGraw - Last year. It was great. My ex-husband works for Toyota and since they are one of the sponsors they had a club suite. So, I took two of my children and my mother-in-law. It was the first country concert I went to. They perform awesome together. I'm not a concert going person.

Michelle

Jill_B

I fly.

Best: 1. 1997 - Maxbox 20, Smashing Pumpkins, Dave Matthews Band & Rolling Stones at the Texas Motor Speedway, front row. 2. 1995 - Tom Petty at the Garden State Arts Center, second row. 3. 2004? - Billy Joel & Elton John. 4. 1990 - Billy Joel at Yankee stadium (I was 13 and I went with my older brother and all of his senior in high school friends, I thought that I was so cool.) Worst: 1. 2002 - some big concert with lots & lots of acts in Connecticut in the POURING rain. Couldn't hear a thing, left to eat donuts and dry off. 2. 1997? - Alanis Morristete 3. 1994 & 1995 dang, I can't remember this group and I saw them twice and it sucked. 4. 1998 Jane's Addiction (although the strip tease dancing on poles was interesting also I think I might have been the only sober person there)

Bring it on.

I saw Stryper. Gah, no wonder I avoid organized religion nowadays... :
            Oh that reminds me...I did see Mylon Lefever back in 1987. Christian rock. I was just going along with the rest of the youth group...the music was actually pretty cool, and during the concert I got to hold the hand of the guy I liked! Blush

Michelle

Member Since 2008

Best Concert - Loverboy/Night Ranger Worst Concert - Billy Squirre

Dog-Love

Oh my god I will have to relive my early years 1972: Stones 1975: Stones I have seen the Stone everytime they played in SF from when I was 14 till 40 1974: The Who (Roger Daltry swinging a mike 20 feet from our heads) was rather fascinating...and scary 1974-1985 a bit of a blur but I loved J Geils Band, CSN&Y, I can't help but love a Springsteen show Prettiest voices during a show were Simon and Garfunkel Tom petty at the Filmore in the late 90's All time worst 1980 Bob Dylan 1978 Ricki Lee Jones: drank too much (her not me) and passed out. Same thing happened to Lou Reed and Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks Juneau has some bad shows and the headliners are folks like Paul Revere and the Raiders.
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  Forgot these pictures from Faith Hill & Tim McGraw Soul 2 Soul Tour concert.

Michelle

Best: The Cure, Black Crows, Billy Idol (Faith no More opened) Scariest: Pantera Worst: Love and Rockets, EMF
                    Mishka-old log

Wow, I just realized that for being a music addict, I've been to pathetically few concerts. Aside from local bands, I can list every concert I've ever been to: 1. God Lives Underwater, June 1996 2nd time I ever got drunk...too busy with drunken goofiness to notice much of the band. 2. Dave Matthews Band, September 1996 Not one of my favorite bands. 2nd week of college and decided to go with my newest friends. Good show though...lots of energy. 3. Tool, March 1997 Incredible show. My favorite band of all-time. I'd been a fan of theirs for 5 years before seeing them live. 4. Creed, November 1997 Their first single, "My Own Prison", had just hit the radio stations. The show was in the basement of a local club, and the stage was a 6" off the main floor. I spent most of the time in the front row and was pushed onto the stage a time or 2. My Own Prison was the only song the audience knew at the time and it was very obvious when they finally got to playing it. I can't stand this band now though. 5. Moxy Fruvous, June 1998 Not really a well-known band. A bunch of geeks with goofy lyrics and good harmonizing. Very small venue; very entertaining show. 6. Tool, July 1998 Awesome again. 7. Tool, September 2001 Awesome. If you've ever seen Tool, you know. 8. Lit, April 2002 Ehhh, boring, uninspired. 9. System of a Down & The Mars Volta, September 2005 Both bands incredible live. SOAD is very true to their studio albums, Mars Volta, not as much. I lingered on the edge of the pit during the SOAD set, trying to muster the courage to jump in. Never did though.
                        Screaming Trees / Soul Asylum / Spin Doctors, Sacramento 1994. Between the three bands, only about 2~3 songs I cared about. I should've stayed in the parking lot and continued shotgunning beers until they played "Two Princes."
                        LOL - One of my wife and I's first dates was at the Soul Asylum/Spin Doctors concert in Dallas. We were partying in the parking lot when we realized we had missed almost the entire concert. Funny enough, I think it was Two Princes that reminded us that we were missing it. One of my all time favorites was in Austin, TX, where the Ramones opened for Pearl Jam. Very fun show. I still like both bands, but what I think is funny, is that both of my kids LOVE the Ramones now. I have one of the Ramones best of CDs - it's one of our favorite "road-trip" CDs. Another favorite was the Black Crowes in a relatively small place in Dallas. I don't think I have ever smelled so much weed in one place. For some reason, I don't remember much about the concert, except that it was very fun.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Best 1. Jimmy Buffett - 2003 - At the Ice Palace (St Pete Times Forum), Tampa, FL First Buffett concert, had tickets in a suite exactly on the right side of the stage. All booze and food comped. Got hit on by some gorgeous MIL%'s...laughed and smiled for hours...what a great experience! 2. P.O.D. and Blindside - 11/14/2001 - at Jannus Landing in St Pete, Florida First time I saw both bands live. My neck and back hurt for a week from head banging. If you have not checked these guys out yet...do so! 3. Rush - 1992 - At the Spectrum in Philadelphia What can you say...amazing rock pioneers with arguably best drummer ever...plus, first time I smelled pot. :-) 4. Linkin Park and POD with Hoobastank and Story of the Year - 2002 - USF Sundome, Tampa, FL Linkin Park is an amazing live band....when the grand piano came out and Mike played...intense! They also let a student get up there and jam with them...very cool! 5. Vertical Horizon - 2005 - SPE at USF, Tampa, FL The band played an outdoor concert for maybe 100 people. They were on and put on a great show. Pity more people did not come out for the event! 6. The Call - 1990 - small club in Lancaster, PA Awesome 80's rock band..."let the day begin"... My legs were pressed against the stage and I was close enough to get sweat on me from the band. 7. RAIN - 1993 - 1995 - on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines If you are a Beatles fan...you will want to check out RAIN. I remember their five hour sound checks when I worked on cruise ships with them. But....it was all worth it....sheer magic. They are currently on tour: http://www.rainthebeatlesexperience.com/ Enjoy!!! As to the least favorite concerts....there is only really one...I love music...and, it is not so much this band with the initials L.S....but that I had had far too many Blue Hawaiins that day...I spilled the beer of a not so nice man in flannel and had to run for it...so, I missed out on all that good Southern rock. Pity.
                          If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

As to the least favorite concerts....there is only really one...I love music...and, it is not so much this band with the initials L.S....but that I had had far too many Blue Hawaiins that day...I spilled the beer of a not so nice man in flannel and had to run for it...so, I missed out on all that good Southern rock. Pity.
                            Sounds like I need to avoid the Blue Hawaiians (and not so nice men in flannel) next week when I go to see L.S. and H.W.Jr. Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Yes, Jeff! Please do so!!! At that time, I normally mixed my rum with coke and lime. But, was feeling adventurous that day. Lets just say on the way to the concert, I finished a Nalgene full of Blue Hawaiians after pregaming for most of the afternoon. Not a good idea... I spent the concert outside chatting with some nice cops while my friends enjoyed the show... Bummer!
                              If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
                                For the curious... Blue Hawaiian recipe Scale ingredients to servings 1 oz light rum 1 cherry 2 oz pineapple juice 1 oz Blue Curacao liqueur 1 oz cream of coconut 1 slice pineapple Blend light rum, blue curacao, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut with one cup ice in an electric blender at high speed. Pour contents into a highball glass. Decorate with the slice of pineapple and a cherry. Serve in: Highball Glass