Newburyport (Read 526 times)

uncontrollable

Classic weather for a classic race - looking forward to a great 10 miler! Anyone else?

peace

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I love that race! For once it won't be hotter than an oven in hell. Was it two years ago that the temperature was 98 degrees at the start? I was sweating just from strolling to pick up my number. I won't be running it today. Not in shape to race a 10 miler, yet. Good luck MissPratt and enjoy the race!
      mikeymike

In.

Runners run

jeffdonahue

I'll be there - you can look for me in black shorts with a red "Winchester Highlanders" shirt on.
            I'll be there, Good Times takes the week off so there isn't a conflict with the Yankee Homecoming. I know Tom (evtish) is in for the 5K, the Black Widow, dprice81 and BostonRnr will be doing the 10. Chris from GT actually lives in Newburyport, so I'm planning on inviting all 3000 runners back to his place after. I'm sure there will be lots more Lowellians, but those are the ones I know of. MTA: BostonRnr's late breaking update.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

BostonRnr

Yep, I'll be there too. Doing the 10-miler, but taking it somewhat easy due to marathon training on the weekends.
                For those that have run YH, what's the post-race like? It is a weeknight, do most folks just head home or are there watering holes near the finish?

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

For those that have run YH, what's the post-race like? It is a weeknight, do most folks just head home or are there watering holes near the finish?
                  Unfortunately for me that doesnt really matter. I just found out that my family is planning on making the drive up with me to see the race - which is great for race support (nothing like hearing a "Go Daddy" when you are hurting at the end of a race), but not so good for hanging around afterwards especially since it will already be past the little one's bed time by then.
                  mikeymike

It's been a few years since I ran it but it's pretty tame if I recall. There are always a few impromptu post-race beers out of the trunks of cars and little get togethers if you happen to know someone who lives a short walk from the finish (ahem). But there's not one centralized post-race blowout.

Runners run

I'll be there too, with a bunch of folks from the Shamrock Running Club.
                      jeffdonahue

Okay, if it was that hot last night running I cant imagine what it was like the last two years because people were saying that last night was mild compared to 2007 and 2006. My time came in decent in at 1:14 but man I was dehydrated by the end and my legs were killing me. Everything started cramping up as soon as I stopped running. In retrospect I didnt drink or eat enough before the race and I went out way too fast. But, it was a learning experience and we persevere.
                        mikeymike

Yeah it was warm but it was probably the coolest I've ever experienced Newburyport. What was it 80 at race time? And the humity was low. For once at this race I didn't go out way too fast and I had a relatively enjoyable race, even ran my fastest mile in mile 10 which I don't think I've ever done. It's always a fast field up there but damn the grand prix just made it insane, in a good way. I had a pretty good race and came in 103rd. I like this race.

Runners run

jeffdonahue

Nice job Mike. I looked around for you a little, but there were just way too many people there. And nothing makes me happier to be a guy like a porta-potty line that is a quarter mile long Smile
                              Millions of Jim Rhoades photos 10 miler http://jimrhoades.com/08/yankee10/ 5k http://jimrhoades.com/08/yankee5/ I like this one, it's Jim's shadow as the runners headed straight into the surface of the sun

E.J.