DUDES only RUN (Read 551 times)

Phenix

I suspect that some of the time it is less "fuzzy, warm, altruistic" than this, and more about profit -- making $$ off of women (well, off of any customers, but by the nature of the setup, they limited their customer base largely to women up-front with these events).

But why do think these races would be attractive for some women?  I get inappropriate comments shouted at me by men several times a month during outdoor training.  I can take care of myself and dish it back, but for many women with poor self esteem, are just starting out, or have weight issues a traditional race is exceptionally intimidating.  I suspect these women sign up for these events for the camaraderie and lack of intense competition.

Again, what emotional motivation would be behind "male only" races.  Do we women make you manly-men feel uncomfortable?  Do our flashy outfits distract you?  Maybe you're worried we'll ogle you or make disparaging comments about your "package" in your running tights? Inquiring minds want to know?????

Not dead. Yet.

...but for many women with poor self esteem, are just starting out, or have weight issues a traditional race is exceptionally intimidating.  I suspect these women sign up for these events for the camaraderie and lack of intense competition.

Again, what emotional motivation would be behind "male only" races.  Do we women make you manly-men feel uncomfortable?  Do our flashy outfits distract you?  Maybe you're worried we'll ogle you or make disparaging comments about your "package" in your running tights? Inquiring minds want to know?????

Clearly men only races wouldn't work.  That's not say there aren't men out there who are overweight or are just starting out and are intimidated by being "chicked" or just being seen trying to run when they cant keep up with their peers.

Let's not forget ladies:  Men are people too.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

an amazing likeness

Personally, I find both situations mildly offensive, and overall nonsensical.  Runners are runners....

But from a marketing perspective, it makes sense...well over 50% of the entrants in most races are women, so catering the to what interests your largest customer base.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Julia1971

Montag, do you have a fancy graphic for "Agency"?

Edited to add: My last post was probably kinda snarky... The motives of the organizers are one thing but the vast majority of women in the United States can choose whether they want to run these races or not; marketing and expense aside.

#artbydmcbride

I think there shouldn't be women only races, but anyway the Tinkerbelle half marathon doesn't completely exclude men.  ..although there weren't too many of them running in it, there were some, tutus and fairy wings and all.  Blush

Runners run

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

This whole thread is rather ridiculous IMHO. I'm glad women are no longer excluded from racing in most Western countries. It's sad that they still are excluded in much of the world. I could care less that we have women-only events. It's good that there are races to encourage greater participation of women in the sport. I really don't have a need to enter a "Princess Run" and I'm not bothered in the slightest by such events. To call it discrimination is foolish. As several already stated, it goes to the purpose for the exclusion and today's female-only events do not exclude men because they are deemed inferior or too delicate to compete. It's a non-discriminatory form of exclusion in contrast to the reasons women were traditionally excluded from running events in the US in the past.

There are so many races to choose from each year. Why worry that you can't enter some race because your "twig and berries" excludes your participation?

I recently bought a British running mag called Men's Running with the subtitle "For Runners with Balls." Kind of silly but of course there are many gender specific fitness magazines these days.

Carry on ladies - have fun at your gals only events and I'll see you later at the co-ed races.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Over the last decade or more, I've participated in a bunch of dude only events. These were generally beer league hockey games and beer league lacrosse games . They are fun. I've also participated in lots of road races and (as we all know) about half the field are generally women. That's great too. I like women. I live with two of them (well, one is my daughter). I like to look at them and talk to them. I think I'm pretty normal in that regard. But I never really consider that I race against women. At my age, I'm unlikely to win a race. I'm racing against guys in my age group. With that being said, I find female only events (and clubs, gyms, etc.) mildly offensive. I stress mildly. In large part, because male only events and clubs were assailed for a large part of my first three decades for being exclusive, including Uncle Sam's Gun Club, in which I spent a fair amount of time in my early years. It's either right or it's wrong. But I don't get overly worked up about it other than responding to a thread on RA about 10 minutes before bed time for me.

And, it would be extremely unlikely, almost to the point of never,  that I would participate in a men only race.

Lastly, to me at least, saying that I should be okay with some payback discrimination based on gender because I am a male is illogical. Again, it's either right or wrong. You can't have it both ways.

meaghansketch

As a woman, I do appreciate the chance to compete in a single-gender environment occasionally, and it has nothing to do with being 'intimidated' by men.  I am a pretty average runner, and I usually finish roughly in the top 40-50% overall, or around the top 20-30% of women.  I am never in the running for any AG awards, but the first time I was in a women's-only race, and I saw how close I was to the start line (it was seeded) and I saw all the other runners around me, who were as serious as I was, it really changed the way I saw myself as a runner.  The times I finish with-- let's say a 24:00 5K-- are times that a lot of guys can just roll out of bed and hit, without a lot of serious training.  But most women running those times are either naturally talented or at least a little serious about their training.  It's a different experience racing a bunch of guys who run maybe once or twice a week versus the experience of racing a bunch of women who are pretty dedicated and serious.

That said, I think the best way to accomplish it is the way I've seen it done at a couple races in my area-- the women and the men both run the same race, but with different start times (8:00/9:00 for a 5-mile race, for example, so there's little to no overlap).  This gives everyone the best of both worlds: Men and women both get to race, they get to compete only against people in their own gender, and everyone has a built-in cheering squad, as the men cheer for the women and the women cheer for the men.  It's everything I enjoy about women-only races, without excluding anyone.  Now, of course none of these have a princess theme or diamonds at the end-- personally, I am more than OK with that.

kcam

As a woman, I do appreciate the chance to compete in a single-gender environment occasionally, and it has nothing to do with being 'intimidated' by men.  I am a pretty average runner, and I usually finish roughly in the top 40-50% overall, or around the top 20-30% of women.  I am never in the running for any AG awards, but the first time I was in a women's-only race, and I saw how close I was to the start line (it was seeded) and I saw all the other runners around me, who were as serious as I was, it really changed the way I saw myself as a runner.  The times I finish with-- let's say a 24:00 5K-- are times that a lot of guys can just roll out of bed and hit, without a lot of serious training.  But most women running those times are either naturally talented or at least a little serious about their training.  It's a different experience racing a bunch of guys who run maybe once or twice a week versus the experience of racing a bunch of women who are pretty dedicated and serious.

That said, I think the best way to accomplish it is the way I've seen it done at a couple races in my area-- the women and the men both run the same race, but with different start times (8:00/9:00 for a 5-mile race, for example, so there's little to no overlap).  This gives everyone the best of both worlds: Men and women both get to race, they get to compete only against people in their own gender, and everyone has a built-in cheering squad, as the men cheer for the women and the women cheer for the men.  It's everything I enjoy about women-only races, without excluding anyone.  Now, of course none of these have a princess theme or diamonds at the end-- personally, I am more than OK with that.

This (the competition angle) makes a lot of sense to me.  I'd never thought of it in that way.  Thanks.  The XC races I run are always split.  Women's race and then men's race.  Both groups have a lot of fun and we cheer each other on.

ulikunkel

A "dudes only run"....lol.....okay.....will you call it "The Sausage Party Half Marathon?"

Will the finisher's medal be a bronzed version of those balls that hang on the back of pickups?

Perhaps you can get Oscar Meyer to sponsor it.

For entertainment, you can have a barefoot running event where women can enter as long as they're pregnant and the course is shaped like a kitchen.

Of course, you would be okay with strippers at the end and a wet t-shirt contest, right?  Women are okay when they're naked and subservient.....right?

Get a grip....dude.

Sugnm - I am aware of the past. I am aware of this image and what it represents. I felt a huge surge of pride when I first saw Katherine's boyfriend tackle the race director mid race when he attempted to remove Katherine's bib.

I guess you miss the point if you think that segregation was completely wrong when men did it is great now that women can do it.

Segregation:

Oppression on the basis of biological sex:

Women running in tutus:

I think I agree with that statement.   I am a white male, though.  I don't think I have ever been part of any minority, so I might not understand the other side.

I'm curious: what do you think would happen if you threw on a tutu and crashed a women's-only marketing event/race?

Julia1971

Good comments.  +1 re giving the fast women an opportunity to toe the line.  I think the separate start idea is neat.  I haven't seen that practice in my area, yet.  I think this is what's happening at the elite level for the marathon.

I've run some x-c races with separate starts, and thought it was great for the reasons meaghansketch stated. That said, there are probably a few really fast women (thinking here of the sub-19 crowd) who might miss the opportunity to push themselves by running with even faster guys.

Good comments.  +1 re giving the fast women an opportunity to toe the line.  I think the separate start idea is neat.  I haven't seen that practice in my area, yet.  I think this is what's happening at the elite level for the marathon.

Jess runs for bacon

I haven't heard of a women's only race that excluded men. But the one thing I do see at a lot of them: men racing them and beating women. Disney Princess avoids this by making the men start in a lower corral, but most don't. I think a guy actually won the Zooma half in Annapolis. Sorry, that's douchey.