Snowshoes? No shoes? (Read 538 times)

Hi everyone! I was cleaning out some old emails and found this site from a link that Kirsten had given me, so I thought I'd check it out! (Hey Kirsten, remember me....neighbor to your very very near south from the See Mommy site?? Thanks so much for this link!) You guys seem very knowledgeable, so here's a question for you! Assuming we'll get snow sometime again here in Michigan Smile, I'd like to buy snowshoes in order to continue running through the winter! I run 100% on trails through the woods, so when it's snowed any amount, the running choices are treadmill or….treadmill! Tongue After thinking of all options of how to plod through the snow without getting wet feet within 5 minutes (just wear my clomper boots and run in em?....spray silicone on the outside of my mostly mesh Saucony shoes....put baggies on the inside of my shoes like my Mom did for me in 2nd grade....) , I figured snowshoes were the solution! So now the question is: Running snowshoes or regular snowshoes?! Does anyone own either and can you tell me if there really is that big of a difference? From what I can tell, the running ones are designed more for packed snow, but how packed is packed? Couldn’t you just wear your regular shoes then, or would you still sink and get wet? The trails around here aren’t groomed or anything….maybe an occasional set of tire tracks. Can you snowshoe in a tire track? LOL I’m wondering can you really “run” in fluffy snow even WITH running snowshoes? Also, looks like the ones for running are tapered more so you’re not knocking the sides of your legs while you’re running. So I’m thinking you really couldn’t use regular snowshoes for running, but as soon as I think that, I read on another description (for regular shoes) “for winter walking, hiking and running”! Hmm. Anyone have snowshoe experience?? Thanks!!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, stranger! I'm glad you found that e-mail! I think you'll really love it here. Big grin I am also interested in snowshoeing (though we spent $700 on snow tires right after that big storm we had almost a month ago and now look... If you buy snowshoes I can guarantee you won't need them if your luck follows, LOL). I ran a few times in snow and ended up with pains in my lower left leg and knee for a couple of weeks afterwards--I don't think that's merely coincidental. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kirsten! My thinking exactly! Infact, my husband said, "You know, if you get snowshoes, we won't get any snow for the rest of the year!" Big grin And I know what you mean about the pains from running on snow! When we got that last snow, I found myself so tensed up (even on sandy trails it was still icy) that I was sooo sore afterwards! I spent half the time freaking out worrying about falling! My leg's just getting back to normal after that rollerblading incident this summer (think I told you how I tried my new blades out and ended up just about breaking my leg), so don't want to mess anything up again! I just bought my brother some Yaktracks and thought those might be good on those slippery days. I'll let him test them out first! Smile
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have also considered Yaktrax. My hubby's aunt and uncle just bought the snow cleats that they sell at Road Runner Sports, so I am interested to see how they like them. The snow cleats might offer a bit more cold and moisture protection, as they are sort of a rubber slip-on contraption with small, dull metal spike things. Like you, my runs on snow and ice had me very tense and nervous about falling. I had a couple of "oh shit" moments. Kinda took the fun and relaxation out of it for a week or so. I don't know if I heard your inline skating near-tragedy--glad you weren't too hurt. I sold mine on eBay not long ago. I bought them and used them for one 30 minute session just going up and down the street with my son on his little bike. Then I re-discovered running and they sat in the closet for a year. Seemed silly to just let them sit in there and I didn't figure they would see much, if any, use. I'm a major klutz and really bruise easily, so inline skating is a poor sport choice for me, anyhow (years ago DH and I did a little inline skating and one time out at GVSU I had a really bad fall that left one side of my body all black-and-blue...I look like I'd been beaten severely). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay