32nd Running Anniversary-Today: 66,021 total miles: If you are in for the long run--a few tips. (Read 1032 times)

At the risk of shameless self-promotion I post this. I am truly greatful for the wonderful journey running has been and continues to be for me. At the further risk of redundancy--most of my old CR posts advised folks to slow down--take it EZ--make running fun/play. A few things learned over the decades: Start off EZ--then Back off. Relax. Walk when you want to--preferably before you "have" to. Be able to sing your favorite song as you run--if you can't you are probably running too "fast" for you. Most folks will improve if they slow down. I got quicker the first 10 yrs after I started running. The last 22 yrs I have slowed down some. Been very fortunate very few running related injuries--PF 1x for 6-8 months back in the late 90's. I begin my runs 5-6 minutes slower than my 5K race pace. Gradually warm up after several miles and do most of my running 2-3 minutes slower than race pace. I do most of my "fast" running when I race (421 races over the yrs. Not all of them all out efforts for sure. Distance from 1 mile to 62.5 (that 100K was a DNF). I realize we are each unique. My observations/reading/ and coaching has led me to the conclusion that if most folks slow down they will last longer out on the roads. Take rest days. Hydrate well. Don't ever get too serious about your running--or yourself-- and enjoy the gift to be able to move. Remember: a body in motion tends to stay in motion--we all know what a body at rest tends to do (remain at rest). Smile and enjoy your journey. Nick--really is long run nick. Smile Thanks for letting me share. Nick

Lia's Daddy

Congratulations Nick! You truely are an inspiration! Smile
      "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
        Nick - Congratulations. I love your posts. They are very inspirational, it is nice to be reminded that it's ok to walk from time to time. Smile

Michelle

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Nick-- Congratulations. You were and still are an inspiration to me and hope to one day even hit half the miles you have on your legs! Chris

Chris
          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Queen of 3rd Place

Hm, you're reminding me about this at *just* the right time. It's easy to slip into going a little faster....and then just a little faster... Arla

Ex runner

starfish1000

Your are the kind of runner I aspire to be. Keep your posts coming. By the way - is keeping track of your total "lifetime" mileage something that you deliberately started to do as a motivator or is it something that you gradually started to realize and tally as as afterthought? cheers kris
                Your are the kind of runner I aspire to be. Keep your posts coming. By the way - is keeping track of your total "lifetime" mileage something that you deliberately started to do as a motivator or is it something that you gradually started to realize and tally as as afterthought? cheers kris
                I "guess" I am a "little" anal. When I started running, I would put a note on my calendar at work. I would put "R-1" that meant I ran 1 mile. Weekends were tough for me because my calendar was at work. I solved the problem by statring a calendar at home. I then began to total weeks/then monthsthen years//then decades--God, I can't stop. Tongue Foolishly, every time I enter a run I still use "R-10" or whatever. Ofcourse, when I bike I put a "B" and if I walk--a "W". R/W is run/ walk. You get the picture? I don't keep track of my walks with our dog--that is usually an additional 7-10 miles a week. When I run with her--I do count those miles--even though she just has to walk fast as I run! Over the yrs it has been fun to look back and see trends in my running/training. Oh, I usually put the temp and who--if anybody I ran with. All my races are put in caps and underlined. Gee, I may need to get some help. I also have a list of my 421 races. Worse yet--when Polar came out with HR monitors for running I would add that data. With my Garmin I have so much stuff. I do download but I still keep a hard copy on my calender. When I travel I make notes on a piece of paper and enter the info in my "official" calendar. After reading this I may seek some help. I also keep track of my running shoe mileage. Actually , the time I take to record all this --if I had been running--I may well have gotten to 100,000 miles running. Smile and have fun. Nick Smile

Member Since 2008

Good Job Nick
                  starfish1000

Thanks for the secrets Nick. I record my time and distance but not the temperature. I don't have a Garmin so I'm saved from that runners' "heroin" whilst you are clearly a junky. Wink I might sit down one day and go thru all of my old calendars and tally up my distance. I think it might be a great motivator for me. So far I'm running about 5 days a week, 6.2 km/run. It takes me about 45 min so I'm not breaking any records here but if I keep going I just might get to "circle-the-world" like you. Hey, that just might be my first SMALL goal. Circle-the-world! See you on way! Kris