half marathon pace, need advice (Read 199 times)

I am thinking about running a road half marathon Jan 26th, but all of my training runs and my only recent race are on trails. My 5k pr, 23:56, Aug 2012, seems to indicate something around 1:51, which is close to my time on a recent 9.6 mile trail race. Would it be reasonable to just go out and run the half at about the same effort level? Or is there some workout I can do next week (on a road) to try to figure out how to reasonably pace the half.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

A Saucy Wench

I am thinking about running a road half marathon Jan 26th, but all of my training runs and my only recent race are on trails. My 5k pr, 23:56, Aug 2012, seems to indicate something around 1:51, which is close to my time on a recent 9.6 mile trail race. Would it be reasonable to just go out and run the half at about the same effort level? Or is there some workout I can do next week (on a road) to try to figure out how to reasonably pace the half.

I'm going to highlight the EFFORT level.    Just focus on effort level and ignore your actual pace. Keep your first 3 miles easier than you want to and then just settle in to "comfortably hard"  until about 10 and then try and maintain pace as it becomes less comfortable.

You could try and do some sort of time trial but honeslty it is a little close to the race to do anything long enough to be predictive.  Just run it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks, I'll give that a try and just see what happens. Should be interesting.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D