LA Marathon - a tragedy on the horizon? (Read 1165 times)

MrH

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

MrH

I could go for the camel toe joke here, but that would be gauche.
      Camel might be a good choice for an LA Summer Marathon. It should be noted that if you are just north of La Rive Gauche, you would be in Seine

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

jules2

Mad bull perhaps.
        I've had the op so its bullock I'm afraid.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

xor

We shall call you Sandra.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Artists rendition:
            That looks excellent.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

#artbydmcbride

And I love mile 11

Runners run

xor

I bet you do.

#artbydmcbride

Blush If only I had some way to fly up that hill.....

Runners run

xor

I realize we're only talking about 200 feet over the last 12 miles, but still... lots of downhill, mount the penis shaped hill, and then climb for 12 miles. With a cool uphill push to the finish. What a fun course.

Imminent Catastrophe

Who ever said marathons were supposed to be easy?
                      Yeah. Problem is in this sort of event you'll get a lot of inexperienced folks/newbies who are in over their heads. The (potential) heat can turn it into a debacle.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Running on the ocean

I've ran 25 marathons in the past 4 years and the LA marathon, which I ran in 2008, was by far the ugliest. The course is truly unspectacular in my opinion. I just ran it so "I ran it". I won't go back even though I live very close to Los Angeles.

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                        -- Jakob Herrmann
                        my running achievements

The high could very well be the average- in the mid-70's- but that is in the shade! Running on the pavement on this course with absolutely no shade? With the California sun beating on you, and heating the pavement? That will feel like it is 100 degrees out. If its 90 on the day of the race, that will feel like 110+! June gloom usually burns off by 10am. If you are a 4hr+ marathoner, its gonna be hot!
                          Forget it. You all win. It will be 95 and the course will be littered with dessicated, undertrained carcasses. For you weather geniuses, the high occurs later in the day, not at 10 a.m. There is no humidity in L.A. and, while the June gloom usually burns off by lunch, that's 3-4 hours of "shade." (and last year's high temperature was a fluke that set a record) But whatever. These are just facts. Go nutty. None of this makes the course one iota more palatable. You'd be treated to a lot nicer scenery on the local treadmill with a good game or movie on the TV. That is a butt-ugly route. Other than "it's around the corner," why on earth would anyone run that dog of a course. LA was my first marathon back in 88 (or something like that) and it wound through some interesting areas. Down Hollywood Blvd with the big Bo Jackson sign, up Sunset, through or near Koreatown, the Miracle Mile. It wasn't Big Sur, but it wasn't this patchwork of commuter routes and shortcuts.
                          xor

I've ran 25 marathons in the past 4 years and the LA marathon, which I ran in 2008, was by far the ugliest. The course is truly unspectacular in my opinion. I just ran it so "I ran it". I won't go back even though I live very close to Los Angeles.
                            This will be a different course.

Imminent Catastrophe

This will be a different course.
                              But, probably equally ugly

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

But, probably equally ugly
                                True. And nobody wants a course with a built in penis. Who wants to look at that?