Running and Spirituality (Read 1233 times)

I reread this and realized I made a huge assumption in my answer that you were speaking about Christianity. I didnt mean to be myopic. Sorry!
    I worded it broadly so that I could benefit from the insights of non-Christians, as well.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Prophet!

do pleas to god and other deities to make the pain stops count as being spiritual ? Every once in a while though, when things are clicking, I say DAMN!, that was spiritual.
      milkbaby

I find that running lends itself very well to spiritual practice. It is a physical task that can also have a mental and spiritual component to it. You have to have mental endurance to run for hours and stay on task. Running can also be spiritual as it gives you time to meditate on anything you want to. Of course, there are plenty of physical benefits to running as well! I find that running keeps me rooted to the universe around me as I see, listen, smell, and feel the world around me when I run and feel more rooted to the present and the "now" than during many other activities. Just the physical activity of running is a reflection of how running keeps me balanced and rooted to the world, as each step requires my body to be in perfect balance (otherwise I would fall), each step puts me directly in physical contact with the ground reinforcing that grounded feeling of being part of the universe, and the sensation of flying with both feet off the ground reflects the dreams and possibilities of being a human being in this universe. As in life, running can also bring joy, elation, pain, and suffering, all of which contribute to your existence in this world. I am not Christian, nor do I believe in any god(s), but I think everybody of any belief or creed can use their running to help realize how wonderful and miraculous this world is and to appreciate their place in the universe. If you give thanks or say a blessing before a meal, consider saying the same before your run as it is no less a gift. Personally, running has contributed an incredible amount to my personal physical, mental, and spiritual growth. It didn't start out that way, but that's what it has evolved into. It is one of the ways that I can experience and be thankful that there is something -- this incredible universe -- instead of nothing.
        "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
          Running lends itself very well to spiritual practice. If you give thanks or say a blessing before a meal, consider saying the same before your run as it is no less a gift.
          Amen. Pardon me if I don't go through the formalities of blessing my runs, but... Amen.
            Smile I thank God every day that I CAN run. It just puts me in a place of joy and even on my worst run I try to be grateful to be able to live the life I do. Blessings to all I'm the one saying a prayer before every race! Kathy
              I remember a time when these forums were about Running.
                OK, more inspirational running music? Pink Floyd Run Like Hell
                  Van Halen Running with the Devil Wink
                  That has to be one of the funnier Van Halen tracks... ahhh yeahh...yeahheaheahwooowooyeahheayahhea, woooo ahhyeahhaha one more time, or whatever he says... Big grin Second only to Beautiful Girls when used in the SNL Schmitts Gay ad .

Vim

Norman Greenbaum's - Spirit In The Sky AC/DC - Highway to Hell The only time I listen to music is on a treadmill. Highway to Hell would definitely get a speed increase.
                    Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Cry Waaaaah
                      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                        Interesting. I am a church-goer and yet agree with every word of the above. That was really helpful. Thank you. Incidentally, I also found your post on running a marathon as an achievement versus running as a long-term lifestyle helpful and it played a big part in my decision to switch from a full marathon to a half as my first race.
                        That's nice to hear. Thanks.

IMKY13 finish!!

Of course now that The Bible is on CD, I've got it on my ipod and lisen to The Bible on my runs.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

do pleas to god and other deities to make the pain stops count as being spiritual ? Every once in a while though, when things are clicking, I say DAMN!, that was spiritual.
                            Yes.
                            I think everybody of any belief or creed can use their running to help realize how wonderful and miraculous this world is and to appreciate their place in the universe. If you give thanks or say a blessing before a meal, consider saying the same before your run as it is no less a gift. Personally, running has contributed an incredible amount to my personal physical, mental, and spiritual growth. It didn't start out that way, but that's what it has evolved into. It is one of the ways that I can experience and be thankful that there is something -- this incredible universe -- instead of nothing.
                            Yes. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sometimes I take a short passage of scripture and try to synchronize it with my breathing when I run. This evening it was from 1 Corinthians 13. "Love is patient, love is kind." Over and over. Kind of a meditation I guess.

Jeremy

I would strongly recommend the book Running the Spiritual Path by Roger Joslin. Roger is an Episcopal priest who uses his running as a method of contemplative prayer. Here's some more info. http://www.gracecathedral.org/av/interviews/int_20030827.shtml

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth