One small step for a man; one giant leap.... (Read 1222 times)

Youngsters! Wink

We were herded into one of the science classrooms with a tv to watch Alan Shepherd get blasted into space (first American) then return and recovered from the ocean. I was in 8th grade. While there was more hoopla after John Glenn's orbits (3rd American in space, 1st American to orbit), I don't remember as much on TV, but am sure there was. Man on the moon, I was between college and grad school.

Yes, I was one of those kids who wanted to participate in the space program in some capacity, but being a computer programmer on some small corner of national defense program was as close as I got. (hard for women to get science-related jobs in the 60s) Well, other than visiting Wallops Island on family vacation.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Yes, I was one of those kids who wanted to participate in the space program in some capacity, 

I dreamed of being an astronaut as a kid - grew up in the 60's and still am completely blown away by watching YouTube video of Apollo launches.  So much progress since then - but those giant leaps of those times are absolutely incredible to look back on.

See how they run...

I don't know who the equivalent hero is of today.  In the 60's and 70's a kid would grow up with a science hero who was legend.  They drove Corvettes, had high IQ's, lived exciting lives, studied hard, were in great shape, and were all around people.  It's OK to grow up wanting to be a firefighter, or maybe admiring a science guy on TV like Neil deGrasse Tyson, or maybe some war hero I suppose.  But who is the all around awesome kind of person to look up to?  LeBron James or Aaron Rodgers just aren't going to inspire kids into being academics.

In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white&fb_source=message