which shoes for a 10K (Read 538 times)

flatland mountaineer

I am doing the Bolder Boulder 10k Monday and am trying to decide on shoes. My long run trainers are Mizuno Nirvana's, do some shorter runs in Lasportiva Sonic's (trail support). 90% of my training miles are on gravel roads. I scored a pair of Mizuno Elixars(performance trainer) off a clearance table for $40 and they fit and feel really good. I have done some shorter runs in them including a 5k race and got a pr a couple weeks ago. I started running 3 years ago and had some shin splint trouble when I started and was running in cushion shoes at that time, problem went away gradually when I switched to a little more support. Worked up to 21 mile week in 4 runs with a 9 mile LR. With that 5 k on pavement and a couple training runs in town feeling just a tinge in my shins(inside) and warm out of it pretty fast. I ran steady through the winter, had some hip bursitis issues late fall. I am 49 and pretty slow. Too many people, too much altitude and too many hills to be concerned about a pr for the 10k and just want a decent time (for me) and have fun. I have a local 5k on july 4 that I want to race really well. Soooo the Nirvanas or the Elixars?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

It's when you get up to 10 milers and HM distance that a sturdier shoe (Nirvana in your case) will likely work better. A 10k is borderline if you have shin problems so I say go with the lighter Elixir. FYI: you probably have the Elixir2, if they were on sale. The Elixir3 is a much better shoe, at least that's what I thought where I tried them out.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

flatland mountaineer

It's when you get up to 10 milers and HM distance that a sturdier shoe (Nirvana in your case) will likely work better. A 10k is borderline if you have shin problems so I say go with the lighter Elixir. FYI: you probably have the Elixir2, if they were on sale. The Elixir3 is a much better shoe, at least that's what I thought where I tried them out.
        Yep they are Elixir 2's. I have a narrow foot and fit me pretty well. Some of the later models they widened out, but I haven't tried the 3's. Thanks for the reply.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Think Whirled Peas

r2f, my first reaction would be to go w/the comfier shoe, particularly if you have no plans to go for a PR. If you think the performance trainer "might" cause you problems at the 10k distance, I'd say just stick w/the sure thing. Now, if you said you were gonna go after this race and try to PR it, no question you race in the Elixirs. Just my .02 Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

SMART Approach

Elixors will give you your best time!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

flatland mountaineer

I used the Elixirs and got along great. thanks