POP QUIZ: Nutritional Info (Read 966 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is great. You can also use a tupperware. Just make sure the lid is not on all the way.
      It never occurred to me to make my own, either. Also, recently they've discovered issues with the ingredients of microwave popcorn, causing lung disease. They call it popcorn workers lung.
        It never occurred to me to make my own, either. Also, recently they've discovered issues with the ingredients of microwave popcorn, causing lung disease. They call it popcorn workers lung.
        I heard about that! There was a guy that was a self proclaimed microwave popcorn addict. He used to have a THREE BAG A DAY HABIT.... Shocked His favorite part was opening the bag, and huffing the fume of buttery flavor that the steam would send into his lungs. He now is dying from this lung disease that the ingredients in that steam release. SCARY. I agree with Trent. Eat real food. It will always be the better choice and most of the time the Cheaper choice as well.... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

So yeah, I never heard of the paper bag thingy, I will definetly have to try it. But seriously, I only got one repsone about the calories in that bag. and I have to disagree. I think there are 12.5 cups of popped corn in there, bringing the calories to 1875. Please! Anyone else? I REALLY want to know the answer to this. I'm bumping my own post!! Modified to change calories - Actually I think there are 312.5 cals in there. I thought 1875 was too horrible, I wouldve jsut gotten Mcd's instead
            Ok nevermind I guess
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm not even sure I understood the original question... Confused

flatland mountaineer

So yeah, I never heard of the paper bag thingy, I will definetly have to try it. But seriously, I only got one repsone about the calories in that bag. and I have to disagree. I think there are 12.5 cups of popped corn in there, bringing the calories to 1875. Please! Anyone else? I REALLY want to know the answer to this. I'm bumping my own post!! Modified to change calories - Actually I think there are 312.5 cals in there. I thought 1875 was too horrible, I wouldve jsut gotten Mcd's instead
                I'll let you do the math but when I was growing popcorn we got a bonus for pop tests with expansion of over 42:1, now its pretty common for butterfly corns to pop a 46. Mushroom corns like the kind for carmel corn pop between 32 and 38. BTW Orville Redenbacher is nothing special anymore, its a ConAgra subsidary now. They used to have some unique growing and harvesting techniques. The pop tests are done with an oil popper and will give a better probably more consistant pop but heck you can pop a whole ear in the micro-wave in a paper bag and it will pop given the kernal moisture is in the correct range. Alot of the bagged corn in the store is over a year old.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

you can pop a whole ear in the micro-wave in a paper bag and it will pop
                  Yeah, I do this from time to time. It is great fun.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you have a POS microwave that burns everything, it's really useful. I tried the popcorn in the paper bag once...ended up with a combo of burned popcorn and unpopped kernals (the commercial microwave popcorns don't fare much better). That Presto thing actually popped the corn.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh I've definitely made popcorn in a pot plenty of times...it's just those little microwave bags are so convenient. I don't have to scrape burned oil out of the bottom of them. I'm so excited to try this stupidly simple paper bag method. (stupid because I never though of it...)
                        Heroes never die. They just reload.

Top 'O the World!

OK, but 3 mins is waaay too long for my microwave Roll eyes....
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

If you have a POS microwave that burns everything, it's really useful. I tried the popcorn in the paper bag once...ended up with a combo of burned popcorn and unpopped kernals (the commercial microwave popcorns don't fare much better). That Presto thing actually popped the corn.
                            Just a few more tips from a grower; popcorn pops best about 13-14% moisture content so its best to seal the bag up with a twist tie or some other airtight container. Its nearly impossible to add moisture back to the kernal. At 70 degrees F and 30% relative humidity popcorn will come to an equilibrium moisture of 8.7% and that won't pop very well. Higher quality popcorn will have an abscense of scuffed kernals, few kernals with the tips broke off and be of large seed size with no small kernals, and have a bright shiny seed coat (no greenish tint). Any deep scuffs will hurt the pop. Resist the urge to buy white popcorn as it usually has less expansion and to me it has less flavor. Processors use it in the "light" microwave stuff as the public has a general preception it is "lighter" in calories, its basically the same.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Get a Stir Crazy, just a little vegetable oil, light salt. Tastes great. Used to be able to get a 2 lb bag of popcorn from walmart for 77 cents. Very cheap and good fiber too.