My boss' wife wants to be friends on facebook (Read 364 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Horn.  

To keep this running related, our quintet will be playing along the course of the local Run For the Luck of It 7 mile race on St. Patrick's Day Weekend.

Mine too!   We can be FB friends!

drifter

I only get on FB at work

BeeRunB

Well, the thread title says it all.  I like to keep my work and personal life separate, but there is an intertwine here.  I play in a brass quintet that my boss' wife also happens to be in.  The quintet meets at my house once a week for rehearsal.  So, I do know my boss' wife in circles separate from work.  Ordinarily, I would accept the friendship offer on facebook, but because she recently married my boss, it makes me a little uncomfortable.  I don't want to ignore the request, or upset her, but I'm not sure I want that window into my personal life available to my boss.  I don't know what to do.  

This is exactly why I got off Facebook. Just think...you're actually wasting time in your life worrying about whether or not to "friend" someone on Facebook, which only exists to gather personal information on you so they can make money. I was going through that kind of worry weekly, all these people that I had let go of years ago, and sometimes for good reason, were all creeping back in by the dozens. One day I was ruminating about whether or not to friend someone--again---and I said to myself "this whole thing is silly. I'm going through this so Mark Zuckerberg can gather personal information on me?" I deleted my Facebook and have never looked back. And I still have communication with all my real and current friends and family by phone, email, and something called a "personal visit." Good luck with this abnormal social situation.

#artbydmcbride

Maybe I'm just a crazy bitch, but I tend to just not friend people that I don't want to friend, regardless of virtual hurt feelings.

are we facebook friends??

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Maybe I'm just a crazy bitch, but I tend to just not friend people that I don't want to friend, regardless of virtual hurt feelings.

I bet Tanya only friends people who would be allowed to call her a crazy bitch.  Quite a select group, I imagine.

are we facebook friends??

Yes, you crazy bitch.

kcam

This is exactly why I got off Facebook. Just think...you're actually wasting time in your life worrying about whether or not to "friend" someone on Facebook, which only exists to gather personal information on you so they can make money. I was going through that kind of worry weekly, all these people that I had let go of years ago, and sometimes for good reason, were all creeping back in by the dozens. One day I was ruminating about whether or not to friend someone--again---and I said to myself "this whole thing is silly. I'm going through this so Mark Zuckerberg can gather personal information on me?" I deleted my Facebook and have never looked back. And I still have communication with all my real and current friends and family by phone, email, and something called a "personal visit." Good luck with this abnormal social situation.

I deleted my FB a few years ago for the same reasons.  My suggestion would be to delete your facebook account and move on with life.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

In a word, "hell no."

DavePNW

There is a middle ground you know. You can be on Facebook and have it be useful for some things, without friending every person you've ever heard of, and without letting it dominate your life. This seems to be difficult for a lot of people.

Dave

runmichigan

i have a small number of friends because I do not want this to be the way I stay in contact with people.  Since many businesses and organizations use Facebook to push information out to interested communities, I like individual business/organizations so I can receive the information they are pushing out.  Of course, I'm sure Facebook is tracking what I like so they can use it to market to me.

mikeymike

There is a middle ground you know. You can be on Facebook and have it be useful for some things, without friending every person you've ever heard of, and without letting it dominate your life.

That's crazy talk.

Runners run

BeeRunB

There is a middle ground you know. You can be on Facebook and have it be useful for some things, without friending every person you've ever heard of, and without letting it dominate your life. This seems to be difficult for a lot of people.

I put it out there because sometimes I think people don't realize that leaving Facebook is an option. That there was life before Facebook and there will be after.

"Middle ground" implies Facebook is a necessity and it isn't at all. Perhaps for you, and that's okay, I have no beef with others being on it. But many have realized it's not and that it's a waste of time that goes beyond simple communication with friends. Many have realized that it's not a necessity to give up personal information and privacy (there is no real privacy on Facebook--it's an illusion), be tracked all over the internet, and put yourself in strange social dilemmas to be able to communicate with real friends. Many have found that going back to a more personal way of doing so is so much better, and that being off of the Facebook merry-go-round is kind of peaceful, freeing up a lot of time.

The OP has written about a very real social dilemma that doesn't need to be, and that has been created by the silliness of the Facebook social structure. If she wasn't on Facebook, she wouldn't be in this situation. When I was on Facebook, it didn't dominate my life, but those particular situations that were like the OP's I found mildly stressful. What was the point of putting myself through that?

Negative fallout for not friending someone on FB is very real. Sometimes, people get really offended and strike back, even if it's just in a mild social way.  Sometimes, it's not mild. Research it.

The OP is afraid of such fallout. Why not just get off of it? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Jimmy- there is no privacy anywhere.  Get used to that.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BeeRunB

Jimmy- there is no privacy anywhere.  Get used to that.

There is in my secret room. 

#artbydmcbride

There is in my secret room. 

Do you have your phone with you there?      .....I am pinging you........

Runners run