Running hills - technique? (Read 938 times)

How do you run up a hill? If it's very steep I step on the balls of my feet and I find it much easier. Is that okay? I used to slow way down and now I can reach the top with what feels like less effort. What are some of the things people do wrong when they run hills? Thanks Ruru

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

What are some of the things people do wrong when they run hills?
      Some of the "wrong" things to do running uphill: * Leaning forward too much--particularly if you start to "curl" your back forward; you can bring knees high * Looking down (kinda same thing...)--same thing, you can't lift your knees high if you look down * Swinging arms side way--wasting forward momentum * Clinching fists too tight--many people do but it won't do a thing but waste extra energy * Try to run "heel-to-toe"--awckward to do, stay on your toes * Not lifting your knees--also awckward to do but, if your legs are not strong enough, could happen * Try to run up too fast--get too highly anaerobic and not desireable Keep your back straight, look up, swing arms straight (I mean, you still bend them at your elbow! ;o)) back and forth (not side-way), lift your knees high, use your ankles to propell yourself... Don't try to keep the "pace" the same as the flat. Keep the "effort" the same. If in the race, let others pass you going up and pick up the pace once on the top when others who sprinted up the hill gasp for breather! ;o)
        What Nobby said. Smile Here's some further discussion about how to run hills both up and down by some other experts: http://www.skyrunner.com/story/ups_downs.htm http://runonearth.com/training/scott-jurek-reveals-performance-enhancing-cross-training-and-diet-strategies/ Biggest thing I find is to remember to run tall and keep eyes ahead. For some reason, I have no trouble doing this on a trail, but on a road, I tend to look down unconsciously. May just be the better scenery on trails.Wink
        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)
            Lydiard Techniques: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/hilltrainingdvd.aspx
            Thanks for promoting our website! ;o) However, make no mistake; these are specific exercises; not necessarily the way you want to just simply run up the hill.
            HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

No wonder people look at me funny Big grin j/k - guess I didn't read the message well. Yes, these are just ways to improve hill strength / technique. The most challenging thing in day-to-day is not leaning forward... this can really cause lower back pain :P

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)
              jeffdonahue

Keep your head up, while it may be daunting to look at - look up the hill. Staying straight helps you to breathe better. Shorten your stride, but increase your cadence slightly. don't try to keep the same pace going up the hill, try to keep the same effort. You will slow down, accept it.
                  I alway turn my eyes down just a little cause if I look up the hill it gets to depressing....so I like to look about 5 or 10 feet ahead and then just keep plugging.............that about it for me...

Champions are made when no one is watching

I alway turn my eyes down just a little cause if I look up the hill it gets to depressing....so I like to look about 5 or 10 feet ahead and then just keep plugging.............that about it for me...
                    But wouldn't that be even more disppressing when you see nothing but "the wall"? I mean, wouldn't that be at least somewhat hopeful if you can see "the end of it"? ;o) When things get tough or you start to get tired, it seems a natural tendency to start looking down. I remember watching the heat of women's 5000m at Atlanta Olympics with Dick Brown. Mary Decker Slaney was running and Dick used to coach her. I don't think she even made it to the final but, as she start looking down, Dick said, "Oh, she's getting tired... She still does the same thing when she's in trouble..." I remember in 1988 Olympics was the same. It was 3000m and Mary was leading; but just as she started getting passed by other runners, including up and coming youngster from US, Vicki Huber; she started to look down. The girl I'm coaching, she does the same thing. As we run together, that's one sign see to see if she's getting tired. She starts to look down frequently... You've seen people who start to shake their head or swing their arms side way...wide as they the going gets tough? Many do that. I don't know exactly why, make them feel better or what??? Technically, bad habits. You actually want to do the opposite. I don't know what it is that we do that; is it easier to run that way, or is it an escape from facing the reality... (okay, just wanted to be a little philosophical! ;o)) The thing is; you want to open up your chest to get air in there. You can't do that if you're looking down. You have to open it up. Coach Nakamura used to say, when you get tired or try to sprint, "Look up at the top of the tree..." This was his cue to "open up the chest". Also, if you're looking down, you really can't lift your knees high.
                    kcam

What Jeff said. This is the only special thing I try to do when ascending hills. I shorten my stride while just trying to maintain whatever cadence I was running at. This means your pace will go down but that's alright. A shorter stride will flatten any hill.
                        Hey Nobb --- I dont turn my head down....just my eyes......and cash in on 5 to 10 feet at a time.....It been my experience that things are easier in little bits....so I focus on small peices of turf when doing hills.....

Champions are made when no one is watching