2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

Was looking for a Fall 2013 race...  if anybody has done one they liked on the west coast?

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

CalBears

CIM - December 8, 2013.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

bhearn

Tucson!

OK, westish.

ha.. that counts.. Was hoping for something not downhill. CIM / Tuscon are not exactly what I had in mind. Morgan Hill is well... hilly. DW says Fres-NO! Seattle is travel costs = $$. Portland would work, but we've seen the city many times. SJ might feel like I sold out. IDK.. looking for that Goldilocks marathon.. the one that is just right.

Tucson!

OK, westish.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

bhearn

Oh, then how about Victoria? Beatiful course, not too hilly. But then, probably more $$ than Seattle. I ran it for my first marathon in 2004, ran a BQ. I've been back a couple of times.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

PaulyGram (45/yes) – 15APR2013 – Boston (Boston MA) – Goal = <2:45 RESULT = ______

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
              Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

DoppleBock

Are you really 45 ... You do not seem that mature -

PaulyGram (45/yes) – 15APR2013 – Boston (Boston MA) – Goal = <2:45 RESULT = ______

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Are you really 45 ... You do not seem that mature -

Ow! and yes (.)(.)

Worse yet, Boston will always screw me as my B-day always falls the week after.

What in the Jehu?

DoppleBock

Boston may screw you as far as Age Group placing - But you do not need that stink'n extra year to qualify - So stop your bitch'n.

Ow! and yes (.)(.)

Worse yet, Boston will always screw me as my B-day always falls the week after.

DoppleBock

I turn 44 in Feb - So I will have to wait one more year to move up an age group

Locally we have Jason Reif - Multiple time Marathon OTQ my age and Eddie Holsem past 2:18 marathoner one year younger.  So next year I only have to put up with one of the burners in the little local race and I have a chance for 2nd in Age Group.  There are times I have been 4th OA and 4th in Age Group.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

... 4th OA and 4th in Age Group.

Similar situation last year. 4th OA and 3rd AG; I aced out (by 2:00 mins over 8K) a guy who goaded me into the race claiming I couldn't run trails, only roads. He was wrong Wink It was the first time he did not place in the AG.

Old folks are too F'n fast

And it's not like you struggle to run a BQ either, Last year you probably ran 10+ BQs in training alone. But I did like that 10 min gap between age groups 40-44 --> 45--49

What in the Jehu?

DoppleBock

I think the feeling of special-ness of getting a BQ is directly related to how hard it is for you to achieve.  I ran a 6 minute BQ my 1st marathon.  I really did not appreciate breaking 3 hours as much as I should either ... until 2010 when I had to run on he red line hurting for 23 miles to make 2:59 with a tailwind.  That is when it clicked to me, having a goal of continuing my consecutive year steak of sub 3 marathons was a very good goal.  One that will keep me interested in training for awhile longer.

I am hoping to be blessed to hit my 10th year out of 10 years running in 2013.  I sure hope I can get there at Boston ...

Similar situation last year. 4th OA and 3rd AG; I aced out (by 2:00 mins over 8K) a guy who goaded me into the race claiming I couldn't run trails, only roads. He was wrong Wink It was the first time he did not place in the AG.

Old folks are too F'n fast

And it's not like you struggle to run a BQ either, Last year you probably ran 10+ BQs in training alone. But I did like that 10 min gap between age groups 40-44 --> 45--49

Scratch my name from the list.

Fractured 5th metatarsal on this mornings run. Rolled/sprained my ankle and hit the ground hard on the *&&^%$#@ sidewalk.

Get off my porch

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

To hold me accountable, you can add my name to the list:

Green Mountain Marathon, South Hero,VT - Sunday, October 13, 2013

2:59:59 or bust!!

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

lagwagon

Green Mountain Marathon, South Hero,VT - Sunday, October 13, 2013 

This looks like a nice race...VT is great in the fall.  I'll consider it depending on how my May attempt goes.

Scratch my name from the list.

Fractured 5th metatarsal on this mornings run. Rolled/sprained my ankle and hit the ground hard on the *&&^%$#@ sidewalk.

Oldman, sorry to hear about the setback.  Hope you have a quick recovery and get back in the mix for later in the year.

My training is going well.  I've been hitting the workouts right on pace, and actually looking forward to increased intensity in the coming weeks.

One complaint, I'm not digging the treadmill on the longer runs (9 mi yesterday, 14 today) except for the benefit of having water and w/c close by at all times.  I'm finding with increased use comes some novel fatigue / aches / etc especially towards the end of my runs.  I'm sure its related to my crap running form deteriorating as I fatigue.