"Runner's Knee"...? (Read 1367 times)

Eryn

I have runner's knee (patellofemoral syndrome) off and on....Even though I have huge-O quad muscles, it doesn't always cut it. what gets me from 'on' to 'off' are a few things combined: 1. Ice. I hate it, but it works. I freeze water in paper dixie cups and then tear off the paper as I rub the owie area for 15 min 2. Glucosamine. I love this stuff. 3. medicine ball squats-- do a wall-squat with a medicine ball between your knees. PFS can be caused by the inner-quad-area muscles being weaker than the outer ones. This fixes it. Plus I will avoid downhills for a while. I totally feel your pain. Take care of your knees, and good luck getting back into it!

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

My OH swears by "The Stick" too. Though these days he gets a professional sports massage once a week as well.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Though these days he gets a professional sports massage once a week as well.
        Ooh...how awesome would THAT be!? Big grin I've long said that if I had the $$ that a weekly one-hour massage would be something I'd do to treat myself. Probably would do more for my weight loss goals than the treats of things like frozen custard and french fries, too... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My OH swears by "The Stick" too. Though these days he gets a professional sports massage once a week as well.
          Ohhhh that would be AWESOME! Hell, I would like one PER month! Smile Le sigh, maybe when I'm a famous lawyer ... Wink
          2009: BQ?
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Le sigh, maybe when I'm a famous lawyer ... Wink
            Trishie, most lawyers that achieve fame seem to do it by getting the rich and famous *cough* OJ *cough* out of jams, or by abusing their power for personal gain *cough* Nifong *cough*. Here's hoping you don't go either route. Big grin Man, I've got to do something about that cough.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I've long said that if I had the $$ that a weekly one-hour massage would be something I'd do to treat myself.
              Well its helped greatly by how cheap getting a good sports massage is over here. Actually its amazing how cheap everything medical related becomes when the people involved don't have to worry about paying huge medical negligence insurance bills! But the main reason we can afford it is that its top of our priority list.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well its helped greatly by how cheap getting a good sports massage is over here. Actually its amazing how cheap everything medical related becomes when the people involved don't have to worry about paying huge medical negligence insurance bills!
                Yeah, Claire was talking about some of the sports med. treatments she was receiving a while back and I was astounded by the level of care she was getting. Oh, and update on my knee...it is SO much better today--I'd say 85% back to normal. I think my knee is VERY happy to be back to running and not stuck in a car for the better part of a day. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Oh, and update on my knee...it is SO much better today--I'd say 85% back to normal. I think my knee is VERY happy to be back to running and not stuck in a car for the better part of a day. Smile k
                  Very good news Smile Glad to hear it turned out to be nothing more serious. Scary things knees.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Scary things knees.
                    Backs, too. I feel lucky to not have had serious issues with either. k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think in addition to weak portions of the quads, tight hamstrings (and a poor balance between hamstring and quad strength/flexibility) can also be a culprit.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Backs, too. I feel lucky to not have had serious issues with either. k
                        I agree - especially with getting older, I sometimes wonder if the clock is ticking on either one. Back in HS I had a problem with fluid build up in the knees after running. Had it once after that about 5 weeks after my oldest son was born when I attempted to run again (that lasted one week). Never found out why, but I didn't care since it went away, thank goodness.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think in addition to weak portions of the quads, tight hamstrings (and a poor balance between hamstring and quad strength/flexibility) can also be a culprit.
                          Oh, I am certain that this is directly related to my issues. I don't know if my hamstrings are so tight, but I definitely have always had issues with my calves (another reason I'm looking at buying a Stick), so it stands to reason that my entire rear side of my legs could have issues. k

~ Sarah Kay

Along for the Ride

Actually a deep tissue / sports massage for reasons like tight calves does not feel very good ... I actually kicked my therapist with the other leg (reflex) Blush She said she was used to it... For about 3- 4 days I felt like my lower legs had lots of bruises. The therapist suggested drinking a lot of water the day of to flush everything out and icing the next couple days after. It definetely helped my issue ... but a treat ... maybe if one is into torture Wink Kirsten, i am glad to hear your knee is better. Not being able to run and not knowing what it is and having pain turns one into (how doesPam put it?) "hell on wheels". Love that prase!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten, i am glad to hear your knee is better. Not being able to run and not knowing what it is and having pain turns one into (how doesPam put it?) "hell on wheels". Love that prase!
                              Totally...and one starts assuming the worst. Like every time I have bad shin splints (which is fairly rare, nowadays) I start thinking "OMG, I just know I have stress fractures." But most things go away in a week or two, luckily. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dumb knee is still bugging me. It will feel better for a day or so, then get crabby again. I'm sure if I stopped running for a few days that it would be just fine...yeah, like THAT's gonna happen.... Anyhow, I wonder about something I found...it's a Spenco "Q-angle" insole for women that is supposed to help adjust for our different quadriceps angle that often leads to knee and hip issues. In theory it looks good, but I'm thinking it might mess with the stability built into my shoes--I have found after trying 2 pair of stiff and semi-stiff OTC orthotic insoles (to help give me more arch support when I wear my flatter-arched NB trainers) that I can't tolerate any insoles that add stability, since my shoes are already on the higher stability end. I'm guessing I just need to find a plain arch-support/cushion insole with no added stability (which seems hard to find at running stores--all I found were flat gel-type insoles and hard orthotics). k

~ Sarah Kay