"Runner's Knee"...? (Read 1367 times)

zoom, this is me lately, too. the sensation/sounds you describe seem right on-the-money in describing my own situation as well. i've been taking days off, and when i have run, i've really just taken it EASY (shorter & slower). i'm just nervous-- w/ knees that seem so on-and-off-again, how do you know when it's safe to try running again?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Michele, my knee actually feels better while I'm running, then it stiffens-up and gets sore afterwards. I've been trying to stretch throughout the day and it seems to help. I need to start doing more work on strengthening my inner thigh muscles. I am actually considering buying one of those dorky Thighmaster devices, as they are pretty cheap and would definitely target the area that I need to. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Michele, my knee actually feels better while I'm running, then it stiffens-up and gets sore afterwards.
        same. easy runs (like yesterday, first in a while) are okay, but then sometimes going down the stairs will feel just "off" enough to make me feel nervous about what's going on in my knees and feel bad about having gone running. what kinds of stretches are you doing? typical ITB stretches? are ITB stretches helpful even when it's not necessarily an ITB issue?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm mostly trying to keep the muscles in the backs of my legs looser. I have always suffered from tight calves and I'm certain there's a relation between my tight legs and sore knee. I'm also trying to keep my leg straighter when I'm sitting, rather than bent-kneed. I think driving (with bent legs, of course) 2 days after a race when my muscles were still tight played a major role in things. k

~ Sarah Kay

you know, that's probably something i should keep in mind, too. my computer time at home (which is pretty much all of it since summer started) has me w/ my knees up against my chest, practically (just how i sit at this one table, given the height of the stool that goes with it). after one particularly long night where i was drafting this crazy spreadsheet AND talking on AIM (!!), my knees felt so painful-- and that's when all this started. most pathetic knee injury ever. spreadsheets and chatting. buh. uh, i just straightened out my legs and am going to log off and go outside, now!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

my computer time at home (which is pretty much all of it since summer started) has me w/ my knees up against my chest, practically (just how i sit at this one table, given the height of the stool that goes with it). after one particularly long night where i was drafting this crazy spreadsheet AND talking on AIM (!!), my knees felt so painful-- and that's when all this started. most pathetic knee injury ever. spreadsheets and chatting. buh.
              Yeah, I know...you injured your knee at the 'puter, I injured mine driving--and it's not even my clutch leg, which is the most embarrassing part--it would be one thing if I could say that N. IN/Chicago/Milwaukee/Green Bay traffic in one day and all the clutching in stop-and-go had been the cause, but it's my stupid RIGHT leg...it's ALWAYS my right leg/foot... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

but it's my stupid RIGHT leg...it's ALWAYS my right leg/foot...
                I've always felt like the right leg gets the worst of it when running against traffic on slanted roads. Having the left foot over-supinate doesn't seem nearly as unnatural as the way over-pronation that the right foot does when running on the slants. All of my running-related injuries (not counting hamstring pulls, which are universally stupid) have come on my right side, and I've always attributed it to the slanted roads thing. I wonder if statistically there is more of a tendency for right-side injuries as a result of road slant. BTW, the computer injury is pretty bad, but I once literally fell out of a chair during a performance review at work and had a sore knee for about a week. That is my dumbest non-alcohol related injury.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've always felt like the right leg gets the worst of it when running against traffic on slanted roads. Having the left foot over-supinate doesn't seem nearly as unnatural as the way over-pronation that the right foot does when running on the slants. All of my running-related injuries (not counting hamstring pulls, which are universally stupid) have come on my right side, and I've always attributed it to the slanted roads thing. I wonder if statistically there is more of a tendency for right-side injuries as a result of road slant.
                  I'd not be at all surprised...though I do really try to limit the miles I do on banked roads for that reason. Not too many of our roads have much of a slant, which is a good thing. k

~ Sarah Kay

I'd not be at all surprised...though I do really try to limit the miles I do on banked roads for that reason. Not too many of our roads have much of a slant, which is a good thing. k
                    Some of the roads I used are banked for drainage. I find them uncomfortable. Luckily, these often have sidewalks. So if no one is walking on the sidewalk, I'll move to them since they are pretty flat.
                    "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Chris, I wish we had more sidewalks around here--heck, what little we did have is all torn up (I have no clue what they are doing, but they are taking forever and it's messed-up some favorite running routes). The cambered roads are going out towards more rural areas, only for a mile or so, so not too much, luckily. k

~ Sarah Kay

Basically... run!

I wonder if statistically there is more of a tendency for right-side injuries as a result of road slant.
                        hmm... interesting theory. my right knee is always the one that acts up, too.

Chris, I wish we had more sidewalks around here--heck, what little we did have is all torn up (I have no clue what they are doing, but they are taking forever and it's messed-up some favorite running routes). The cambered roads are going out towards more rural areas, only for a mile or so, so not too much, luckily. k
                          I'm pretty lucky with the sidewalks. They are on most well travelled roads in my town and the surrounding towns. However, some of them are pretty old and are breaking or parts are uneven due to tree roots.
                          "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

However, some of them are pretty old and are breaking or parts are uneven due to tree roots.
                            Yeah, we've got some areas like that...almost like running on a trail! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

pjena

Hi. I thought I'd try posting in this thread before starting my own because my problem is so similar. I've been running 5-6 miles 5-6 days a week for quite a while without any problems. Last weekend, I ran my first race - 5 miles - harder and faster than I usually run, which must have been harder on my body than I anticipated. I was also driving in the car for a long time the day before and the day after the race. This past week, my knees started bugging me - especially the right knee. I got a lot of good advice from this thread re: stretches, strengthening, ice, compressions, etc. My question is: Can I keep running while I do all of this or do I have to stop? Will stopping altogether help it get better faster? If I can keep running, can I keep trying to up my miles to prepare for a 10 mile race in October or do I need to slow down and do just short slow runs? Thanks!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I kept running and I did increase my mileage. But I was careful and it probably would have healed faster if I'd have taken it a bit easier. Right now my knee is mostly better. And I think it had as much to do with the shoes I was wearing for a month as it did with the race then car time. Every time I wear my Kayanos I feel it in my knee for the next day or so. I've read reports by others who have had similar issues with the 13. Very odd. k

~ Sarah Kay