I need new shoes (Read 913 times)

anachrotech

I've posted this previously in May and I'm still searching ... Ran on Monday and joints were sore the rest of the week. Ran today for only 3 miles. I think I've narrowed down my problem - with my joints anyway. I used to wear New Balance 1122. I called them my Frankenshoes or Herman Munster shoes because of the way they look. Well New Balance went and "improved" them and their replacement is the 1123. The 1123s are much nicer looking and not appear as "large". I've had them since February. I've had my problems since February. Initially I attributed the issue to the flu that I had. I discovered lately when I put my retired 1122s, which I wear for everyday, my knees and hips feel better. I don't know what to do now. I just ordered what I think to be the last pair of 1122 in my size on the planet. I tried Asics last August and, though the shoes felt wonderful on my feet, the motion control was not what I required and I ended up with trochanter bursitis. If any of you have recommendations on a heavily cushioned shoe with maximum motion control, please feel free to give me your input. Thank you in advance.

Old, Slow, Happy

I have found that the Broooks Beasts work best for me. My arch is completely flat and I am 6' 3" and 200 lbs. I get about 450 miles from a pair of Beasts. I have recently had knee problems. I tried a bunch of orthotics but found that the Beasts work best for me without any additions. Remember, everyone has their own best shoe. Keep looking until you find the one that works for you. Good Luck!!
      anachrotech

Thank you Richard...
        Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Still searching too! I think my next option is barefoot.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

For me what works is a combination of good shoes, and shoe inserts. Shoe: Nike Air Structure Triax: It has good motion support, and a plenty of soft padding. +: A visit to a sports podiatrist to get my "form" checked out - ended up with a pair of shoe inserts that not only make the shoes feel very comfortable (ie no blisters), but also seem to have kept away the bad knee syndrome.

Running - cheaper than therapy

I started running in the Brooks Adreneline. What a great shoe. Tons of stability like the Beast, but lighter and with a lot more cushion. After about 8 months of running I gradually stopped pronating and the Adrenelines actually started to hurt my calves. I switched to the Glycerine, which is a pure comfort shoe, and haven't looked back. I guess what I'm saying is that it can happen where what you need a shoe changes over time. I think that is particularly true in the first year or two of running.
              And who am I anyway?
              Just another fat jogger, evidently.
              Ringmaster

That's funny. I'm rotating now between the last two shoes that were mentioned--the Nike Triax and the Brooks Adrenaline. The Nikes are lighter and more cushioned and are my favorites, but I get less mileage out of them. The Brooks do cushion my knees, which tend to need a lot of babying. I believe both of these shoes are classified as stability, not motion control, but you might want to look into them. The Nike Triax feel like clouds when you step into them, but they certainly do wonders for my pancake-flat feet.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

12-week layoff

I wear the Air Structure Triax as well, with custom orthotics. I have to replace them about every 350 miles, though. I have tried different shoes over they years, but I always come back to the triax. Oddly, I have high arches, and I pronate, and I think someone else with low arches uses the same shoe. Hummmm OK that was VixiDu with the flat feet. A fellow person from the Deep South, I believe?
                  anachrotech

Me again. I tried the Brooks Ariel and had to return them. I couldn't even go a 1/4 mile with them - my legs ended up hurting too bad. SadIt was almost like the time I tried to walk in a pair (giving my age away here) Earth Shoes. Tight lipped Perhaps I'll give the Asics Gel Foundation a try. I'm still mad that NB "improved" my shoe. Angry
                      I was a New Balance guy for quite some time. For some reason, I began having issues, which caused me to look around. I tried the Brooks Beast, which was OK, but to me was a heavy shoe. I switched to the Brooks Adrenaline, which I love. Like you, I ordered the last pair of Adrenaline GTS7's on the planet, and I dread transitioning to the 8's because I've read that the "improvements" are not as good as they are advertised to be. Also, if you continue to have issues, consider iansyd's advice about seeing a sporrts podiatrist. The correct shoe is very important, no doubt, but if biomechanics are an issue, custom orthotics may be a solution. I have orthotics that I got for Plantar Fasciitis, but I am noticing that I have had a couple of other minor aches and pains subside since I began using them. My .02 worth...

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

anachrotech

Thank you for your suggestions Jeff. I'm trying not to go the custom orthotic route because of the cost as my husband has been permanently laid off. And as seeing that we're in Michigan and combined with his age and medical issues seems to preclude his being hired by anyone. I would move out of state but my job doesn't lend itself to transfers. I've tried superfeet, but couldn't stand them after 3 minutes just walking around. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the gel foundation seeing that the gel evolution felt really good but on longer runs they were lacking. I put these on my Christmas list.
                          I'm sorry to hear of your challenges, and I hope that everything works out for the best for you and your family. One no-cost suggestion is to go to your local running store and ask the staff there if they do any sort of gait/running form analysis. Having someone who knows what they're looking at may provide some insight as to what shoe could work best for you. It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want in a shoe, and an objective analysis may provide some alternatives that you aren't aware of. Best of all... it's free. Smile And, if you find the right shoe, you'll help small business in your community. That's a win/win in my book. Modified for spelling.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

JOHNMAGGIO

I wish I had a better "New Balance" direction to point you in, but the 1123 is the best they have for Motion Control Running. Other than that its the 587 which is over a decade old. They do have the 1011 but its more posted (stabilty) than Motion Control IMO, but I have seen it substituted several times with success. As far as insoles go you may want to try or look at SOLE comfort insoles. They are heat moldable, meaning you actually bake them and they mold to your feet. More info at www.yoursole.com. Pretty sure you can buy them direct.
                            www.nbannapolis.com
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I tried Asics last August and, though the shoes felt wonderful on my feet, the motion control was not what I required and I ended up with trochanter bursitis.
                              Which Asics did you try? If you were to get your foot wet and make a footprint on concrete or something, how much of your arch would we see -- all of it, medium, or hardly any?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

anachrotech

Which Asics did you try? If you were to get your foot wet and make a footprint on concrete or something, how much of your arch would we see -- all of it, medium, or hardly any?
                                Asics Gel Evolution - My left foot leaves barely a any arch. It actually collapses more when I run. When looking at my feet, you can see a definate difference between the two from above the ankle downward. It's really hard to explain. Any problem with knee or hip is normally on that side.