Snow Blows…aka "why I've done the vast majority of '14s runs on the dreadmill" (Read 337 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My family and I just moved to MI (Grand Rapids) from Colorado last summer. I gotta say, its been a tough initiation! (I grew up in Michigan, so I was a TINY bit prepared.)

Somehow, Ive managed every run this year (20) outdoors in this crap. Even a few trail runs. Hopefully all the running through snow and with spikes will benefit when I can finally run on something dry! Sad to say, a frozen and snowy beard is becoming a daily norm for me.

When is spring?

Are you running with the Dirty Herd, by chance…?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Are you running with the Dirty Herd, by chance…?

No, Im not too familiar with any of the running groups out here yet.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No, Im not too familiar with any of the running groups out here yet.

Gazelle sports has a nice trail running club.  I think they run in Robinette's Orchard a lot.  My friend Rob A. is one of the lead guys.  He's a tall, skinny brunette, and has a goatee.  We actually know him through the JDRF ride program.  He took up running after being a cyclist (who does it that way?!) and it's become his passion.  He works at the GR store.

~ Sarah Kay

Gazelle sports has a nice trail running club.  I think they run in Robinette's Orchard a lot.  My friend Rob A. is one of the lead guys.  He's a tall, skinny brunette, and has a goatee.  We actually know him through the JDRF ride program.  He took up running after being a cyclist (who does it that way?!) and it's become his passion.  He works at the GR store.

Thanks for the info! Funny, I came into running via an odd transition too as mountain climbing was my main hobby, and I ran to keep in shape between climbs. Gradually turned into trail races, and now that im in MI with no mountains, im sure ill run even more.

I think they run in Robinette's Orchard a lot.

Holy cow!  Fond memories of Robinette's Orchard.  I know exactly where that is (even if I cannot remember the street name).

I live 1200+ miles from there now, and haven't lived in GR for 20+ years while only living there for 3 years.
            ...Head up the east beltline, and turn left past Leonard street (maybe 3 mile road, but that sounds too far), and it's on the left hand side of the road with the barn.

Their cider and doughnut's are good.

Regardless, stay warm, Michigan'ers.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Holy cow!  Fond memories of Robinette's Orchard.  I know exactly where that is (even if I cannot remember the street name).

I live 1200+ miles from there now, and haven't lived in GR for 20+ years while only living there for 3 years.
              ...Head up the east beltline, and turn left past Leonard street (maybe 3 mile road, but that sounds too far), and it's on the left hand side of the road with the barn.

Their cider and doughnut's are good.

Regardless, stay warm, Michigan'ers.

Yup!

Staying warm, yes…but only if I stay indoors.  This is coming:

Cripes.

A friend of ours is home with his kids for their 12th or 13th snow day.  I think the kids had ONE day of school this week.  He's about to commit himself to get a break.

~ Sarah Kay

6 of 18 on the mill so far this month.  Not sure what I'll do today.  It's a recovery day after a long run yesterday, so I may decide it's not worth the effort to bundle up for just a couple miles.  It's just so tedious.  Check the temp outside, check the wind chill online, decide which layers to wear, decide the order to put them all on so you don't start sweating before you get out the door.  Add headlight and blinkys, making sure blinkys are blinking.  I'm exhausted before I get out the door.  And then it takes so long to warm up to a comfortable pace, sometimes as long as two miles if it's really cold...

Yesterday was awesome.  Had the day off work, so went for a noontime long run on a perfectly groomed trail.  Just enough loose snow on top of the pack to give traction without making it harder to run.  Daytime, so no lights.  20 degrees and little wind so not so many layers.  Just heavenly.

The predicted high for Sunday is 40.  Too warm for the woods (ice is treacherously wet at that temp, and the slush is miserable) but I may go run down by the beach for a change of pace.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just had a fabulous outdoor run.  Just shy of 5.5 miles in 25º and minimal wind.  Was going to stick mostly to the little "bike path," but its barely cleared.  I lasted all of a half mile on that then decided to dodge cars.  I dodged cars AND a LOT of pulverized mailboxes.

~ Sarah Kay

Yup!

Staying warm, yes…but only if I stay indoors.  This is coming:

Cripes.

A friend of ours is home with his kids for their 12th or 13th snow day.  I think the kids had ONE day of school this week.  He's about to commit himself to get a break.

Oh thanks for that, I am in the 5-7" with freezing rain zone.   WTF kind of weather pattern is that, where the farther north you go, the less snow you get?? Wish me luck on getting in any kind of LR this weekend. Ran outside at lunchtime today, it was actually a brief window where it was quite nice out. Should have just kept going & taken an impromptu half vacation day, to get the miles in while the going was good.

Dave

WTF kind of weather pattern is that

what the fuck does WTF mean?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Feeling the growl again

At least snow melts...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tumbleweeds + sun or snow + clouds?  I don't know…right now I think I could deal with tumbleweeds.  Kill 'em both with fire!!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another recent photo from the Grand Haven beach.  That plastic palm is a year-round bit of decor belonging to a beachside restaurant.

~ Sarah Kay

delicate flower

Pic from today's "snow sucks" adventures.

<3