First Race! Nike 10k in Los Angeles (Read 509 times)

Jazz hands!

I PR'd! Okay, it's hard not to PR when you run your first race. But I ran a race with 12,000 people in it! I came in in front of several hundred! I don't even know where to start this. Probably with the part where I decided to wash my car today, since the race wasn't until 8:30 pm. Except I didn't take into account that it takes upwards of three hours to wax a car. So, when my running friend came by at 6:30, after offering to drive, I hadn't even gotten dressed, I couldn't take my car anywhere, and my arms were already super-sore. So she drove us down to the LA Coliseum, and all the missives from Nike had warned us time and again about the horrendous traffic and parking conditions we were sure to face. Except not. Whatever you want to say about Nike, the race went off without basically any hitches except for the part where the woman singing the National Anthem got the words wrong.* We get there and parked by about 7. The race starts at 8:30. We use the bathroom three times (we were nervous). I eat some gummy lemon things that I later realize are these "gels" real runners are always talking about, and you're not supposed to eat them BEFORE you start running. This thing was huge. 12,000 people ran it. Have I mentioned that part yet? We stood way in the back, in the 12+ section with the plebs. The pump-up started around 8 and I really just wanted to start running, but Randy Jackson (who I am informed is a judge on American Idol) wanted to ask us 46,374 times whether we were ready yet. Then he told us about some "celebrities" running with us. Then he introduced some famous athletes, which would have been cool had I not just wanted to be running already. Finally LA's mayor sounded the Air Horn Of Doom. Hurrah! The race has started! So obviously we stood there for another 5 or so minutes before crossing the start mat, turned onto the street and got to it. The course was kind of a weird shape, kind of like a capital F with lots of doubling back. I passed the mile 1 clock at 17:00 and kind of freaked out--I totally thought I was running faster than that. Then I remembered about the whole "crossing the mat 5 minutes after the clock started" thing and chilled out. Along the course were these cool musical mini-stages representing other cities. Tokyo was the first one with some sweet drummers. Anyway, not a ton to report after that point. I ran. A lot. My left IT band starting tweaking in my hip around 1.5 miles and I ignored the hell out of it. At the 5k mark I got some water and could not believe I had to do ANOTHER 5k. I missed the 4 mile marker somehow, and pretty much thought there was NO WAY I could finish this stupid race if I hadn't even run 4 miles yet, but then I passed the 5 mile mark at 1:12:00 and was like, oh! Awesome! Around there my arches started hurting along with the bottom on my feet (I need different shoes, I think) and I ignored that too. Also, serious chafing on my thighs. WOO. At 6 miles I attempted to implement my "run fast at the end" plan, and I may have hit 10:00/mile. Which is blazing fast for me, by the way. I thought I was going to throw up, and am really glad I didn't because someone puking after running a 30:00 10k is one thing. Someone coming in at 1:26:00 and puking is quite another. Passing the finish line was one of the greatest experiences of my life, I think, because a) I got to stop running b) I ran my first race! It was really long! I didn't walk at all and managed, I think, under 13 minute miles! The clock said 1:26:00 or something, but I think I was faster than that by 4-5 minutes--I seemed to be running right about 12:30-13:00 based on the mile markers. The race results aren't in yet, and Nike said something about people running slower than 1:15 not getting an official time, but I hope they were lying. They also said they'd reopen the streets at 1:15, but they didn't--I think there were too many slow runners / walkers. Kanye West was playing a big show after that, and we stuck around a little bit, but decided we might die or something if we didn't go home, so we left. I have to say it was pretty great. Also one of the most painful things I've ever done, by far the biggest show of sheer willpower I think I've ever put on, and I thought I might die at the end. My car is still half-covered in wax. And I'm already looking at more races. How do you people run marathons? *Not in a big deal kind of way. I think she said "rockets bursting into air" instead of "rockets bursting in air" or something.
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
      Congratulations on your first race! Feels like more? Smile

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Alex, that might be the funniest RR I have ever read! This part made me LOL: My left IT band starting tweaking in my hip around 1.5 miles and I ignored the hell out of it. And I totally get you about the epic adventure that is washing a car by hand...which is why I rarely do it anymore--takes half a day and I always end up sunburned and crabby. Blush

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations on your first race. Are you hooked on racing yet?
            great job on your FIRST race, it won't be your last one! it sounds like you had a wonderful time, A

Recalculating...

pitrunner

That sounds crazy! 12,000 people?? Congrats!!
                Excellent Report Squeaky... This was good reading and congrats for completing the race....10K is not an easy distance and especially for a first time out........GOOD JOB..... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

A Saucy Wench

Awesome job squeaky!--and I always gel up before a 10K Wink

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Very cool! Sounds like you had fun, which is what it's all about!
                    Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                    Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Good for you! Loved the "air horn of doom"!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Jazz hands!

Thanks everybody! My quads (?!?) are still ridiculously sore, as are my shoulders, though the shoulders are sore from waxing my stupid car. The quads are sore from running, I can only assume. Probably from cranking it up to 11. Anyway, two days out I'm quite pleased with myself, wore my fancy little bracelet to work ("Hey, I like your bracelet." "Thanks, I had to run six miles to get it!"), and although Sunday night I had pretty much sworn off all running forever, today I'm checking out fall 5k's and December 10k's. Cool I was going to run an easy 3 miles today, but I'm too sore plus I'm leaving tomorrow for a hiking trip.
                        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                          Sunday night I had pretty much sworn off all running forever, today I'm checking out fall 5k's and December 10k's.
                          Everytime I go for a race and actually RUN - go all out - I normally swear off of all running (especially racing) forever....but after a couple of days you forget the pain and remember the feeling of accomplishment and end up signing up for another race.... Confused

Champions are made when no one is watching

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congrats on your PR, Squeaky!! Smile Great job on your first race. Yep, if you're like me, you'll be doing many more! My first 10K time was close to yours, and I improved it by 10 minutes in one year.
                              Great report. You're not just a runner now, you're a racer. But beware, it's a slippery slope....
                              Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                              redleaf

What a great report! Congrats and good luck for the upcoming races!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362