VO2 Max Number? (Read 636 times)

geekfarm@centurytel.net

In the training log section, what is the VO2 max number all about? Am I looking for a low number, a high number, an increasing pattern, a decreasing pattern, just what should I expect? Or do I really need to know this?
    Scout7

Generally you're looking for a higher number. But really, it's an estimation based on data entered, and not a true reflection of your actual VO2Max. If you're not sure what to use it for, then don't worry about it. I've never even looked at mine....
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

VO2 max is the maximum capacity to transport and utilize oxygen during exercise. Higher is better -- elite athletes have numbers typically >70. The only time it's meaningful to look at is from an all-out effort or race, so it's actually a little superfluous to have it calculated for each run (i.e. you only have one VO2max, and you need to use an all-out effort to estimate it). Use this calculator to estimate your VO2max from a recent race. As you run more races, you can see if your VO2max is improving. In your log, the only way to look for a pattern is to look at races or other all-out efforts. Hopefully, it's going up. But like Scout said, it's nothing to get too worked up over. More info in this thread.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.